Lowering "RECOIL" for hunting & Shooting

Well, I would like to know how much PPSI to the shoulder it is with that blackhawk stock with the 300WM. (And a muzzle break if possible) As far as scope bite goes, wouldn't the old way of measuring distance away from scope still work? 35+years ago, We used to take a yellow chalk stick, put baby-power on your RT side of face covering cheek good, bring the gun up like your going to shoot, and then down, mark around the smudge mark left by the baby power, should be a little marks like ( ) on the stock around the smudge in yellow, then recoat your face with more baby powder, and then raise the gun the same way and shoot it. Now you have a smudge over the yellow lines by how much it kicked your shoulder back, sometimes it's a 1/2 inch, or a inch or 1-1/4 -1-3/4 or what ever. then you measure it and Mark that with yellow chalk, then mount the scope twice the travel distance away from the furthest smudge mark end. So if it travels a inch then you mount it at least 2 inches from where your cheek ended up on the stock. Once you know that,(And you can repeat it a few times to make sure you have the farthest mark.) then you have to find a scope with a optical View range that will easily fit into that distance away.. When your all done measuring, a little Pledge on a rag wipes everything off and makes your gun shiny like new.. Of course all stocks were nice "wood" back then.. But I think it would work the same on today's stocks as well. :Dgun)Then "you" should never get bitten as long as "You" shoot the gun.
The entire upper portion of the stock slides backwards with that stock so you'd have to measure that travel and add it in. As long as your scopes have the needed extra bit of eye relief though it should be no problem at all.

The system is extremely sound and I'd been working with a few designs to do the same thing using a flexible spring in the neck (palm area) but when I thought of this added complication I said "fergit it".

My bet though is you'll have less felt recoil using that stock with a braked sendero weight barreled action with a good brake on it than my .220 swift.

They have 2 types of stocks, a conventional one, (I like) and one with a pistol grip AR type, Both will fit a Rem-700, Not shure which one to get, I like the standard one but don't know if it cuts the recoil down enough,(They said 50% RR for the Conv-One and 80% with the AR type) and I have seen some bad reviews on the AR type on U-Tube about it Punching your face on each shot. (With a shotgun) Also, the last 10 people I've talked with, have all told me that as long as I stay under or around 1,000. yards that I should go with the 7mm-Mag as it will be flatter shooting and almost the same FT-LBs of force. (They said very little difference until you get over 1500meters.) and it will be less recoil and much easier to shoot... So now I'm back on the fence between the 300WM and a 7MM-Mag as I don't know how much difference the recoil "really" is between them. As I have had 2 people say there is no difference in recoil, and these 10 all saying there is a big difference. And is there a way to order a 28" heavy barrel from Reminton? As they say it's a little more accurate at longer distances. Or am I stuck with a 26" standard barrel? And did you say that with this stock and a muzzle brake it would be like shooting a .22?? Now were you looking at the Axiom-AR type stock or the Compstock-Conventional one?? This is really giving me hope to find something I can shoot weekly and have fun in our Meetup groups, as well as "Hunting"...gun)

They have 2 types of stocks, a conventional one, (I like) and one with a pistol grip AR type, Both will fit a Rem-700, Not shure which one to get, I like the standard one but don't know if it cuts the recoil down enough,(They said 50% RR for the Conv-One and 80% with the AR type) and I have seen some bad reviews on the AR type on U-Tube about it Punching your face on each shot. (With a shotgun) Also, the last 10 people I've talked with, have all told me that as long as I stay under or around 1,000. yards that I should go with the 7mm-Mag as it will be flatter shooting and almost the same FT-LBs of force. (They said very little difference until you get over 1500meters.) and it will be less recoil and much easier to shoot... So now I'm back on the fence between the 300WM and a 7MM-Mag as I don't know how much difference the recoil "really" is between them. As I have had 2 people say there is no difference in recoil, and these 10 all saying there is a big difference. And is there a way to order a 28" heavy barrel from Reminton? As they say it's a little more accurate at longer distances. Or am I stuck with a 26" standard barrel? And did you say that with this stock and a muzzle brake it would be like shooting a .22?? Now were you looking at the Axiom-AR type stock or the Compstock-Conventional one?? This is really giving me hope to find something I can shoot weekly and have fun in our Meetup groups, as well as "Hunting"...gun)
The 7mm mag is a great weapon but in all honesty at 1,000yds it's a turd compared to the 300wm.

If you want to choose between a 7mm and the 300wm go to the 7mm STW. It is a laser beam to 1,000yds and with a 26" or longer barrel" it will beat the 7mm mag by about 250fps at long ranges which is a huge difference in energy. Using the heavy weight bullets with the high BC's it's a monster and can be very manageable recoil wise, about on par really with the 300wm.

Get something like a Sendero Profile good brake, maybe a mercury recoil reducer or two and a good Limbsaver butt pad and neither one will be a problem at all. I had my little nieces shooting my 7m STW sitting in my lap when they were under 80lbs and they giggled and squealed like litter girls with the best toys ever ringing the gong at 300yds plus.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.