Moose - East Canyon Unit - Utah

scoutm

17 more days until opening day!!gun)

I was very fortunate to beat the odds and drew a Moose tag in Utah. I couldn't be more excited.

I have a good buddy who lives on the unit boundary that's been doing scouting for me since I'm a good 15-16 hour drive away. I've been doing as much research as I possibly can - Google Earth is great. I have my maps purchased. I've really ramped up the fitness routine so I'm ready to really cover some ground. My buddy has horses so game retrieval will be as easy as it can be which obviously isn't too easy on an animal this size.

I've got my rifle dialed in. I'll be shooting my 300WSM with the TTSX bullet. Based on Barnes data I'm good out to about 550 yards. I'm really solid at that range shooting from a good hunting type rest.

I think I've got pretty much everything covered but being a first time Moose hunter I'm not totally sure. Any advice for me? Anything other than finding a quality moose am I missing?

Any and all advice is welcomed. Thanks.

In MT we have quite a bit of clear cut and mountain type, but lots of low swamp type. Rubber boots and even hip type wadder nice.

Ok... Here's a tip. Not matter how bad you want to shoot, don't do it if it is in a swamp!!! Lol. For a minute or two of sheer exhilaration, you will pay with hours and hours of hell trying to get it out :D

I buddy of mine with friends in Alaska told me the only thing worse than shooting a moose in water is shooting two of them on the same day in water...

Any pictures or updates? Hope you had some success!

As a matter of fact I do!!! I was successful the morning of the 9th. I am now back home and just getting settled. It was a great hunt and I couldn't be more pleased with the results.

Moose Success.jpg

Wow, beautiful Bull. Was hoping to see you with a big smile on your face (meaning you were successful). Congrats! Hopefully you can share the full details when you get some free time.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.