Montana DIY Pronghorn Hunt

that's amazing isn't it........and I don't see it getting any better until covid settles and we get some moisture consistently

The last time I hunted pronghorn in MT was 2008. There was a 40%+ chance of drawing. After we drew we got a note stating that there were 10,000 surplus doe/kid tags available as well. My how things have changed.....

Once Covid settles down hopefully drawing odds and point creeps will come back down to planet earth.......
I think that's akin to saying, when primers get back to 40 per brick…I don't think either is happening anytime soon.

I've been out to Wyoming four times in the Lusk Wyoming area. A lot of public area and some walk-in areas on private land. The wife said she got a recent email saying that the conservation department out there his access more private land for this next year hunt. Out of the four years I've only been able to draw a buck tag one time. But if you hunt as a group and one person in the group gets drawn they give you permits to everybody in that group whether your name was drawn for a buck tag or not. 1 year our group no one drew a tag on bucks and that's all the group it asked for was Buck tags. I had submitted on my own for a doe tag and did draw for it but since nobody else was going out I gave my Tag Away to a wounded warrior. The covered wagon motels were we stayed and they do have a wonderful Campground there in town if you take a camper. We stayed in that Campground two years the other two we stayed in motels. But I think it's the Elks Club the night before season comes in they throw a big dinner and give away a lot of door prizes. The last time we was out there I saw a big Antelope buck with every bit of 14 inch rack on him standing right behind a sign that said private property no hunting. should never let them Antelope learn how to read. If you want to go to Wyoming you're going to have to get your name in pretty soon for the draw. The motels out there usually won't take reservations until after you draw that way people don't make reservations and then cancel out at the last minute. If you go out there you'll have a good time. Montana decoy makes a decoy that is so real like a buck come up and and challenged that Decoy there are nylon fabric painted decoy and their life size and we've had Buck's come up three times to them decoys once my brother was setting it up in the morning and a buck run up and challenged him when he was standing behind the decoy and he shot it. They also have a range out east of town so you can go out there and check your guns for sight in good idea for altitude change. I'll include a picture of my decoys, a buck and a doe.

Attachments

• 1540175556276.jpg
    1540175556276.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 81
I've used a deke plenty of times during the archery season but there is exactly zero chance I'd use one during the rifle season. For what that's worth.........

When we're putting up decoys we had lights red colored LED lights on and was wearing orange coats and hats. They are too realistic to walk out there without letting people know you're there. But the antelope didn't bother them they come into the lights or the orange coats

Depending on where you go in Wyo, the herds were hit pretty hard and the numbers are down. If you do end up coming out here, def get in touch with biologist first. Just my .02.