DIY Antelope Hunt

Kaintuckee

Planning to get out west this fall for my first antelope hunt. Would you recommend a DIY hunt? What state offers the greatest success?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

I help a lot of people from the east go DIY antelope hunting. Its a fun trip. Take a camera and a rifle and have a good time.

Here are two good threads to read to get you started ( humbleness is not one of my faults).

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f64/how-hunt-antelope-long-range-26100/index5.html

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f64/how-go-antelope-hunting-26099/

Of the two, the first one to read is How to GO antelope hunting. Wyoming is a good state to go to. They have a lot of animals and a lot of tags. There is a lot of public land in some units and not much in other units. Trespass fees are about $500 a person for a buck if you want to hunt private land. The information in the thread is outdated and there will be no "leftover draw" anymore.

Killing antelope is pretty easy. If you can regularly kill whitetail deer then you are more than smart enough to kill an antelope. If you are not smarter than a deer then you might need some help killing an antelope. :D Killing a trophy is harder but if you take your time you will soon sort out the difference between an average buck and a trophy. To me a trophy is 15 inch horns or better. That will look good on your wall. That won't make any record books but they are big enough to be impressive.

So read the threads, download the data from Wyoming Fish and Game. If you have questions then just PM me and I will answer as best I know about the stuff I actually know. I don't run a line of BS on anybody and if I don't know I will just tell you so. There are about three other people I am helping at the moment so I might get confused but that is a fairly normal state for me.

I followed Buffalobob's pointers last year and drew 9 Wyoming tags [3 bucks, 6 does] for three of us. Took my 13 yearold godson on his first western hunt and had a blast. We each killed our buck on the first three consecutive days. One doe on the third day, and five does on the fourth.

We hunted public ground and not once did we feel crowded.

Great hunt to take a kid on. Hunt and see game all day long, beautiful weather, beautiful country low impact.

I know we'll do it again.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.