Moly bullets & neck tension: More or Less?

marchboom

I have read numerous articles on using moly coated bullets and one stated that because the moly bullet has less friction than non-coated bullets it is better to use more neck tension to keep it from moving just from the pressure developed by the primer. More neck tension would hold the bullet until the powder started burning and that would move the bullet. In my 22-250 I use moly coated Sierra 53 gr. bullets over AA2015BR powder and consistently get .400" groups. I currently use .003" neck tension.

Before I start experimenting with reduced neck tension has anyone here done any testing in this area? Any opinions pro or con?

Thanks.

I would not change the neck tension you currently use. I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds in .223 with moly coated bullets. If you try to increase the neck tension by reducing the dia you will reach the yeld point of the brass. I would argue that you are there now in a 223 sized case.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.