Model 700 stock help!!!!

I'd also suggest trying a flat based bullet in 50-52 gr range. The 53 vmax is about as long as the 60 gr vmax due to it's boat tail design. Just an idea though.
Waste of time and money. If mid range boat tailed bullets aren't shooting well a lower BC flat based bullet in the same weight range isn't going to shoot any better.

Anything you do before properly bedding and floating it is just going to be a waste of time, ammo, and barrel life.

I won't even shoot a brand new out of the box rifle any more without first doing both of the above.

+1. Definitely a must.

It's just like buying a used vehicle. You want to go through it and change all the fluids and normal maintenance parts before relying on it for dependable transportation. That was way you know it's done and don't need to worry.

Get it bedded, float the barrel, make sure the trigger is light and crisp, then worry about load testing.

On another note: If you are using a scope with high magnification, make sure you are adjusting focus and checking for parallax properly.

+1. Definitely a must.

It's just like buying a used vehicle. You want to go through it and change all the fluids and normal maintenance parts before relying on it for dependable transportation. That was way you know it's done and don't need to worry.

Get it bedded, float the barrel, make sure the trigger is light and crisp, then worry about load testing.

On another note: If you are using a scope with high magnification, make sure you are adjusting focus and checking for parallax properly.

I don't agree that one has to do this process with each and every rifle to get it to shoot well. I've never done this with my Tikka T3, Browning X Bolt, or Savage Predator. All three of those rifles shoot extremely well.

My X Bolt .223 shot this group the first outing. I took three shots after bore sighting, then adjusted the scope and shot the next 7 at 100 yards. Not too bad for cheap factory ammo.
IMG_1479.jpg

I brought some 40 Gr Vmax handloads and shot this 3 shot group at the min charge.
IMG_1542.jpg

I shot the next charge weight and found this grouping. Would've been better without the flyer.
IMG_1544.jpg

I still have more work to do as far as development, but this rifle has maybe 20 rounds down the barrel and shows great promise. The only thing I may do is adjust the trigger from the factory setting.

Would I say I've been "wasting time and money" working up loads right now? Not at all. Basically, my point is that people can still buy a rifle and have it shoot well out of the box. Maybe I've just been lucky with a few "good" rifles though.

I don't agree that one has to do this process with each and every rifle to get it to shoot well. I've never done this with my Tikka T3, Browning X Bolt, or Savage Predator. All three of those rifles shoot extremely well.

What they said has nothing to do with you or your rifle. In this situation the rifle doesn't shoot good. The stock has been identified as a problem. Therefore if he were to do anything else without fixing the already identified problem it will be a waste.

Mr. Waspocrew,

If you knew how Browning builds their rifles, you would know that your barrel is already free floating and there is bedding around the front of the receiver and recoil lug. Browning does all that for you before they send them out the door.

They are really nice for the money actually, but I wouldn't buy anything less than the "Medalist" stock. The Carbelite and Duramaxx models made by B&C are junk and no better than any other cheap factory stock IMO

Redhawkrifles has the absolute best prices on any B&C stock.

Otherwise go to StockyStocks and take a look at some of the Bobby Hart laminates. Very nice.

If you really want to get serious and don't mind spending some extra money, the Manners stocks are about as good as they come.

But regardless of what stock you buy, the fit probably won't be perfect and you'll end up having to do some very minor inletting and bedding to get a perfect fit with a good free floating barrel. Just keep that in mind.

Went up to the range today and tried 55 gr vmaxs with the h380 powder and at 100 yards hand 3/8 MOA groups so that pretty good way better than the 2inch groups I was getting with the 52gr amaxs

..... I also believe more load testing with a wider array of components and powders is needed before coming to conclusions about the rifle's accuracy capabilities......

..... I have had rifles with cheap factory synthetic stocks shoot every bit as good as my custom rifles with full carbon/fiberglass aluminum skeleton stocks.

Like I said...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.