Model 70

I had the last iteration of the Stealth which was Winchester's closest offering to what FN was doing with the SPR. I thought it was great, shot well, good quality, and the CRF got me hooked. If I had any gripes it would be that the bolt handle was a bit short, and there isn't much in the ways of aftermarket parts for it. If you want something to buy, throw a scope on, and shoot, then they are great out of the box guns.

I own several M70s of which 4 are FNs. The Extreme Weathers, I rebarreled to 3B/4 contours w/ faster twist also. My factory one, 270WSM Coyote was bedded and had trigger replaced and is a sub MOA rifle. The Long Range model would be my choice bedded right and triggered. The 300WSM looks to be discontinued but there might be one laying around somewhere. 6.5 PRC still an option as 270WSM or the 6.8.

Does anyone have a new Model 70? Tell your thoughts on it, good or bad. Thanks.
GREAT RIFLE!
Winchester Model 70 Ultimate Shadow SS - Mossy Oak Break-Up in .325 WSM with a 26" Barrel. Shoots ½" Moa with H4350 and 200gr AccuBond.

We bought this right after the .325WSM came out. Want something in 8mm to handle all North America game and Africa Plains game.

Bought this (18/19 years ago) before Winchester was sold to Browning along with problems associated with the Union Labor.

Action and trigger are very nice, but I did the work on them. I cleaned up the Bolt and the trigger is another story. We kept the factory trigger; it was ok but no adjustments. The only way to adjust the trigger was to grind down several parts on the sear and change spring. Don't even try if you don't know what you are doing. Took out the Creep, it now has a very CRISP Break and the over travel is good. I forget the trigger #s, but is in low oz.

It is one of Best Factory Rifles and Great Cartridges we own. It will stay with us until I am gone or can no longer shoot! I wouldn't sell it that's how much I like it.

I have friends who recently bought the Extreme Weather (1 in .270 Win, 1 in .300 Win Mag) that are now M70 for life hunters. My newest M70 is a 2015 vintage Safari Express in .375 H&H. Function, fit and finish are all excellent out of the box. Mounted a VX3 1.5-5 in Talley Light Weights. As long as I do my part it'll throw 260 grain Accubonds running just over 2700 fps into 1.5" at 300 yards all day long.

A few years back at different times, I bought three new Extreme Weathers (two .30-06s and a .308). Sold them all. Good accuracy , but nothing special, straight-out-of-the-box.

I have a US built shadow in 270win puts 5 corelokt near one inch,only ammo I have used in it.
I also have a safari 375 h&h 3 in an inch at 100 is my best with it .
deeding extraction etc all good,I could drop trigger weight a bit ,both have the moa trigger.,kelly

I own a Model 70 Super Grade , Purchased new in the 70's Its chambered in 270 Win. I was so excited when I ordered the rifle, and so disappointed when I received it. The wood was very plain, it did not have 2-screw super grade swivel mounts, and the bedding was terrible with a clay like putty shoved in around the action. Only a touch of figure in the wood at the for end. The only positive thing was the action was silky smooth. Hooray for something right. I sent the rifle out for bedding and shoots just fine now, but it lacks the look of a Classic Super Grade rifle. Yes The floor plate is stamped "Supergrade" and it is handsome rifle. I have come to just accept it for what it is. Perhaps I was expecting too much.

Attachments

• IMG_2698.JPG
    IMG_2698.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2822 Model 70  Supergrade in 270 Win Feb 3 2022.jpg
    IMG_2822 Model 70 Supergrade in 270 Win Feb 3 2022.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 63