Model 70 action

alldayhunter

I was just wondering if the model 70 action would be worth the money to build on. I recently purchased a 270wsm that i found on sale for 350 in winchester ultimate shadow. I bought it on impulse and really like the round but i already have a .270 win that will shoot circles around it. I hate the stock that is onit so that would be the first to go. I was thinking a mcmillan and a new barrel first. and also work on the action. i was just wondering everyones thoughts on this action and what my options would be. Also what smiths would be good to have to the work. Thanks alot this site has been a huge help as i start my long range hobby.

Since you already have the action then its a good investment to build on , their are a good bit of aftermarket parts out their for the M-70 and the action desgine is very solid , actualy being stiffer than the
R-700. Once its blueprinted their is no reason that it shoulden't be any less accurate than a R-700 that was trued back.
Alot of guys don't like working on them becasue they take a little more work than the R-700 to setup buttheirs realy not that big of a deal , you may have to pay a we bit more for the barrel fitting due to the extractor cut having to be machined.
The best thing to do is talk to a few smiths and find one that willing to do the work , if you get sombody that sounds like they realy arn't to excited about it don't persue it any further. I have reciently gotten a barreld action back from Nathen Dagley (308 nate) and I can't say enough about the great job he did and the constsant corrispondance he kept with the build letting me know what was happening and the process of the build. Alot of guys here have had work done by Shawn Carlock and Kirby Allen and I have yet to hear any bad things about their work.

Heres a link to Nate's site
www.tiptopwebsites.com/ssgcustomrifles

I had a wonderful shooting rifle built on that same action by George Gardner of GA Precision in Kansas City. George can work over that M-70 and build a great rifle on it. Matter of fact the M-70 is a great basis for a long range rifle. You might discuss a build with him, he has done lots of M-70's in WSM. You got a nice action for 350 bucks.

www.gaprecision.net

alldayhunter,
I will reafirm what JDJones said about that being a good and sturdy receiver to build on. They true up really nice. I have worked with the controlled round feed model 70's and cutting the extractor groove in the barrel is a breeze with the right tooling.
The push feed model 70's do not need the extractor groove in the barrel.
PLease feel free to give me a call if you want to talk.
1-701-880-3276

James,
Thanks for the kind words and you were a pleasure to work for!

Not trying to step on any toes but I prefer the functionality of the Mod 70 over a 700 any day of the week. The safety rocks, and I'm not a fan of the push feed. There is no reason why they can't be made equally as accurate.

+1 use the mod. 70.. My FN SPR in 300wsm is a WIN. MOD. 70 action that has been trued and put in a mcmillan a-5 and it shoots really good .3 -.4 if I do my part.. I also like the Mod. 70 action over the rem. 700 and I have a couple of 700's and a gap 7000, The mod. 70 just feels more stout kinda hard to explain..

alldayhunter,

You sure this is an Ultimate Shadow, or a Super Shadow? The Ultimate Shadow is the Classic action (CRF), and has the floorplate assembly. The Super Shadow has the CRPF action and a blind magazine. The price you got it for makes me wonder. An Ultimate Shadow would never sell that cheap in my hometown! There is often a lot of confusion over nomenclature between these models. Just thinking out loud. Good luck!

Nate,
I have a question regarding the CRF model 70. I have a 300 Win mag Model 70 Laredo that shoot really will but the indent of the firing pen is off center. Is this normal or the bore or bolt is off center. I also noticed this on another CRF Model 70.

This is the main reason i bought the rifle. I have remingtons and brownings but have never had a winchester. I saw this one at the local bass pro. i saw another person looking at the rifle and when i heard the price i was bummed that i didn't see it first. Then when the guy decided he wasn't sure i bought it when he left. It is the ultimate shadow. The sales associate said it was the last one in the Bass Pro system. It shoots alright but i hate the stock. thanks for the ideas i will deffinately be calling 308 Nate. Does anyone have suggestions on what barrel or stock i should put on it? thanks for all the help
Garrett

Desert Fox,
depending on how far off center, it could be caused by the bolt laying on the bottom of the raceway up front.Or the case laying in the bottom of the chamber. It is also very possible the threads in the receiver are not true with the raceway and/or the threads on the barrel are not true with the bore but it will not tell you if the chamber is in line with the bore. I realize this doesn't really narrow things down much, but if it shoots really good ...keep shooting it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
FWIW,
308nate

There are many great custom barrels made and many good stocks out there.
I'm partial to the Broughton 5C barrels and McMillan stocks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FWIW,
308nate

alldayhunter,
As far as the M70 action goes, it's a great action. I have two with custom barrels on that shoot very, very well. I have another sitting around waiting for me to make up my mind what I want to do with it: pre-64 M70, chambered 300 H&H, 26" barrel. BTW, it's the pre-64 actions that have to be custom fitted barrels/chambers due to the cone shape of the bolt, and some gunsmiths charge more for this added
labor. There are a lot of excellent gunsmiths who work on them. My favorite is Charlie Sisk, in TX.

The two others sport McMillan stocks, but recently I've had the opportunity to use an H-S Precision stock, which is also
very good.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.