Model 70 magazine limitations

harps and pttp
they might work. The follower is pricey. Maybe I can print one in a 3D printer.
Thanks guys. That is a good suggestion.
I hope the OP is watching. I only need the follower now, and I can "borrow" one from my 375 H&H to check it out.
Gain thanks!

Which powder are you using? Maybe try a faster powder. In my experience partitions don't mind a good jump. I would try to match burn speed to my usable case capacity before tearing the rifle part, just for curiosity sake. Speed isn't what kills when using a NP. Good luck let us know

Look on ebay for Winchester parts Ive seen magboxes and followers for 300, 375H&H . Might need to look under Winchester pre 64 mod 70

Which powder are you using? Maybe try a faster powder. In my experience partitions don't mind a good jump. I would try to match burn speed to my usable case capacity before tearing the rifle part, just for curiosity sake. Speed isn't what kills when using a NP. Good luck let us know

The is for a new bullet. My rifle has long "lead". If I load to 3.4" COAL, then I get a 0.295" bullet jump. The OP has a similar problem. Some of the M70 came like that. Not looking for speed, got the weatherby for that. Looking for the most accurate load

Last edited:
The is for a new bullet. My rifle has long "lead". If I load to 3.4" COAL, then I get a 0.295" bullet jump. The OP has a similar problem. Some of the M70 came like that.
Yeah I understand that. I have rifles that I need to single feed, rifles that have extended mag boxes and rifles that jump from way out. why not try to get it to shoot as is? 3.4 is not much over SAAMI. They make these rifles so they can shoot well at SAAMI length. Try shooting a Weatherby! Sometimes the bullet falls out of the case at the lands, but exceptional accuracy can be had. I'm just saying, there are many other things to try before altering the rifle. But if it come down to altering the rifle... hey that's fun too 👍

Refer to my post #14
How about using Hammer bullets? Seating depth less of an issue.

Ignore Quote below. How do I undo the quoting action?

deepwater

Not sure ,but the guys at pre64 may/ should be able to help , I know they had some mag boxes and followers for 300, 375H&H

Yeah I understand that. I have rifles that I need to single feed, rifles that have extended mag boxes and rifles that jump from way out. why not try to get it to shoot as is? 3.4 is not much over SAAMI. They make these rifles so they can shoot well at SAAMI length. Try shooting a Weatherby! Sometimes the bullet falls out of the case at the lands, but exceptional accuracy can be had. I'm just saying, there are many other things to try before altering the rifle. But if it come down to altering the rifle... hey that's fun too 👍
3.4" is SAAMI for 300 WIN MAG. However not happy with the accuracy. I have another M70 that has a full 0.200" shorter "lead". That can be loaded with no changes. A couple of people I know had the same problem, did what I am doing. I do shoot Weatherby. MK V 300 WBY was my first and what got me into reloading.
I am also trying to keep any alterations reversible. I might just cannibalize my 375 H&H to prove the concept and keep looking for the parts. Only missing the follower now.

3.4" is SAAMI for 300 WIN MAG. However not happy with the accuracy. I have another M70 that has a full 0.200" shorter "lead". That can be loaded with no changes. A couple of people I know had the same problem, did what I am doing. I do shoot Weatherby. MK V 300 WBY was my first and what got me into reloading.
I am also trying to keep any alterations reversible. I might just cannibalize my 375 H&H to prove the concept and keep looking for the parts. Only missing the follower now.
Ah I thought 3.34 was SAAMI COAL. good luck sounds like a fun project 👍

Doesn't your mag box just have a spacer spot welded in it to make it short? I'm thinking Winchester 70 Classic CRF action. Can't that spacer be removed?

Unless I misunderstood, I thought the shorter follower can still be use in a conversion...

Doesn't your mag box just have a spacer spot welded in it to make it short? I'm thinking Winchester 70 Classic CRF action. Can't that spacer be removed?

Unless I misunderstood, I thought the shorter follower can still be use in a conversion...
You can tig the gap on the aft of the magazine then drill out the four spot welds on the spacer and remove. I had this same issue w/ my 264WM. I was able to purchase the STW mag fortunately. As for the follower, there were none to be found so I'm using my original follower w/ no issues. Bolt stop wasn't changed but I removed the ejector(pain in the ***) and put it on the belt sander to shorten up a bit. I did use the STW lift spring though.

Rhett

Is this a new haven, South Carolina or Portugal gun? I've got two Portuguese 06's and you have to load them short with tangent bullets. My SC 308 can get to the lands easily but you don't have to load short.

Recent Posts