MOA Adjustment Loss

Trophy_Taker

I recently zeroed a new Leupold VX 5HD scope. The max elevation adjustment is 37 MOA. I adjusted up 5 MOA while zeroing so my turret now stops at 32 MOA. Is this normal and is the only option an MOA base to gain this back?

I recently zeroed a new Leupold VX 5HD scope. The max elevation adjustment is 37 MOA. I adjusted up 5 MOA while zeroing so my turret now stops at 32 MOA. Is this normal and is the only option an MOA base to gain this back?
Do you actually expect to be shooting at ranges requiring more than 37MOA of adjustment?

If so, a canted rail would be your only answer.

Last edited:
I took a quick look at the VX5HD scope specs . some have elevation total of 120 moa , some have 100 moa , some have 75 moa . I'm assuming yours has 75 total moa . so if you have 32 moa left after sight in , that means you have 43 moa down . yes the best way to get more useable elevation would be to get a canted rail .

Canted rail, rings , and what you're shooting will determine how much elevation you need in your scope to dial.

On my ELR stuff I use a 30 MOA unimount plus 20 MOA cant

If I remember correctly the Leupold ZL-2 turret will limit you to a total of 38 MOA. 20 MOA on the first turn and 18 MOA on the second. Adding a canted rail or rings is only going to gain you back 6 MOA. If you like your current setup now, I probably wouldn't bother.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, the scope has 75 total MOA, so 32 up after zeroing. I'm new to this long range game and it seemed odd to have 43 MOA of unusable down adjustment. The CDS turret will show a max range that will be about 100 yards more than the scopes max dial allowance. I guess in some cases you might have to dial down to zero and then wouldn't have the issue?

that's correct , sometimes you will dial down to get your zero , leaving more on top . a taller set of rings will require you to dial down to get your zero . different things will affect this .

I forgot about the ZL-2 turrets limit , I'm glad the other Fella mentioned that . if this didn't have the two turn limit , you could put a 20 moa rail on it , and also a 30 MOA rail would be no problem . in a perfect world a 40 MOA would work , but that's cutting it close . one thing with using the canted rails is it raises the back of the scope , this will mess with your cheek weld . you probably won't notice a 20 , but you will notice a 40 .

that's correct , sometimes you will dial down to get your zero , leaving more on top . a taller set of rings will require you to dial down to get your zero . different things will affect this .

I forgot about the ZL-2 turrets limit , I'm glad the other Fella mentioned that . if this didn't have the two turn limit , you could put a 20 moa rail on it , and also a 30 MOA rail would be no problem . in a perfect world a 40 MOA would work , but that's cutting it close . one thing with using the canted rails is it raises the back of the scope , this will mess with your cheek weld . you probably won't notice a 20 , but you will notice a 40 .
The odds of needing more than 20 MOA are excessively remote as well.