Zeiss and Vortex Adjustment with 20 MOA

Autorotate19

I have a zeiss 4.5x14x44 and on the Zeiss website it says that it has a square adjustment range of 42.8 inches. With this would I be able to use a 20 moa base with a 200 yard zero?

I also have a Vortex 4-15-50 Viper HS. On their site it says there is 50 moa adjustment. With this will I be able to also get a 200 yard zero with a 20 moa base?

Thanks

In theory, yes, the Zeiss can get there with 42 MOA. However, manufacturing tolerances can be a problem. With 42 MOA adjustment, you don't have much room for error. You've got about 6 MOA to spare, to be precise. In a production rifle, a zero MOA base could easily be vertically mis-aligned from the bore by more than 8 MOA.

You may have to shim or bed your base 10 or 20 thou to correct that error. When installing the scope, I recommend you you use an arbor boresight collimator to assess base alignment and dial in your base. I would not hesitate to do it, because the Zeiss glass is worth the effort.

Alternately, if you use a mildot reticle, you can zero at 200 yds using one of the dots above the crosshairs. You can add 10 or so MOA that way.

Could you possibly bottom out a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 with a 100 yard zero using a 20 MOA Picatinny Rail?

My IWLA fellow member can only adjust the turret to an 1 inch high (he can not adjust the turret any further down) at 100 yards with his Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50 and he has the scope on a 20 MOA Picatinny Rail.

The Zeiss website says the 6.5-20x50 Conquest has a square adjustment range of 45.4 inches.

Thanks

Update:

I called Zeiss about two weeks ago and they said they recommend a 20 MOA rail. But when I told them the cailber was a 7mm STW and shooting out 140 grain bullets at least 3,300 fps at the muzzle they said it would not work because the bullet was going too fast.

I suggested to them what if I replaced the 20 MOA rail with a 15 MOA rail. They said it would work then.

Update:

I called Zeiss about two weeks ago and they said they recommend a 20 MOA rail. But when I told them the cailber was a 7mm STW and shooting out 140 grain bullets at least 3,300 fps at the muzzle they said it would not work because the bullet was going too fast.

I suggested to them what if I replaced the 20 MOA rail with a 15 MOA rail. They said it would work then.

EGW 15 MOA's are all I have because I dont need the range that a 20 MOA rail might give me

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.