MO 1000 yd BR Match

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well, Lerch and I completed our first 1000 yd br match this past weekend. About all I have to say is that is was a learning experience. We had a good time w/some good folks in some TERRIBLE conditons. The conditions were so bad I didn't even get out the camera during the match. It was in the upper 30's and either snowing or raining most of the time w/variable winds gusting between 15 and 30 mph. Great conditions for our first match!!!!

Things started off bad in the morning when we couldn't get Lerch's 6BR on the gongs. It was just snowing too hard to see the impacts @ 1000 yds!! I was able to get on in 5 shots but after about 10, Lerch began to get frustrated. Luckily, the snow let up enough and we were able to get him on.

Our first relay we shot just as we do when taking a single shot @ varmints or steel targets. We shot when the wind was slack. Here are the results of our "picking."

This is my target:
LG26.jpg

Over 26"!!! I was embarrassed to say the least. Oh well, at least I beat Lerch's 32" group /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif(he threw his target away)!!!

After talking w/some of the guys, we realized that we were doing everything wrong. The worst thing a guy can do is shoot in the slack. We were advised to pick the most prevalent condition and shoot then.

I applied that lesson to my first relay in the heavey gun class:
HG13.jpg

13" and some change for 10 shots in a gail force wind!!!! I didn't win score or group in the relay but it wasn't too shabby. At least that is what I thought.

Lerch then shot in the factory class w/his Cooper and managed to win score w/a 16" group. Hmm, there seems to be some improvement w/this rapid fire strategy.

Next was the second light gun relay. We applied some previously learned lessons and managed to shoot fairly well.

Here is my target:
LG10.jpg

I did really good watching the wind on 4 shots. I just fired the last one and when I raised my head the wind was blowing straight out instead of R to L. I'm still kicking myself b/c I really feel that the shot out of the group was my last one.

Here is Lerch's relay winning 6.902" group!!!
Steves6.jpg

When they posted the scores he had me read it to make sure he wasn't seeing things!! Some fine shooting, no doubt. Lerch was beat in the shoot off so he did not win the match.

Next was the second heavy gun match. We had to wait about 30 min for them to get all the targets up. They would get them up and then they would blow off. This happend over and over and over and over, well you get the point. The wind was probably worse for this relay than any all day. 20" was all I could muster.
HG20.jpg

We didn't light the world of fire but considering it was our first effort, the conditions SUCKED and our stocks are not made to track in the sand bags like a true BR rifle, I think we did OK. Some of those guys in the heavy gun would just fire, push the gun forward, look through the scope to see it was back on target, raise their head to watch the wind and touch the trigger when conditions were right. They weren't even looking through the scope when they pulled the trigger!!! Kinda hard to compete w/that when you are constantly fiddling w/your rear bag to get back on target.

I think y'all did dang good ........first time out , horrible weather , and so .How many shots broke just as a big shiver started /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So, how many shots did you need for one day match with one gun ? What is the time limit for sighters? or is there one . How do you know where you are hitting while sighting in , do they pull the targets and paste them over ? C'mon , /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif give all the details /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It sounds like a good "learning exp" trip and a fella has to start somewhere. Scott and I were going to go but he ended up in the hospital . His mules threw him a coupla weeks ago ( thats right, mules ,plural ) Evidently it caused his pancreas to stop functioning or nearly so and he was an immediate diabetic needing to take insulin every day . Things have improved in the last couple of days to the point that he is only needing one shot a day to stabilize his blood sugar . My prayers are that his pancreas will start working again.

The part about " mules " throwing him ................well , he got on one and it throwed him , so he got on the other and it threw him as well or should I say " as worse" as that time was bad and he had to go get checked out in the emergency room .

Jim Brown

Bill

Sounds like a good weekend .

A weekend out shooing is better then a weekend in the house .

When are we going to get more details about the 338 ?

Have you shoot it at the range yet ?

Redbone

I'll fill in for ya here Jimm

I fired a total of 71 rnds. that is with morning practice in the freakin snow, the sighter period before each round ( i shot a total of 4 rnds), and the actual scoring shots. I only shot the light gun and factory class. You have 6 minutes i think for sighters and then 10 minutes for scoring shots, 5 shots for light gun and 10 shots for heavy gun. The full time was never needed cause most these feller's fire off most thier rounds in 1 minute or so!!!!

We tried at first to take our time and pace each shot into a low spot in the wind, well you see how that worked out!!!!! I gave my first round trgt the ol 3 pointer to the dumpster, swish!!!!!! After that we tried the fast pace firing and it worked a lot better.

My cooper has a really rounded off forearm and it liked to roll in that front rest alot which bugged the hell out of me. I really dont know why they wouldnt let me just shoot off of a bi pod like i asked, seems like a stupid rule. Once i got used to the front rest i developed another problem. I like to squeeze my rear bag rest and on a mechanical front rest i have to use BJ's bag cause it is taller. Well his bag has kind of nylon ears on it and my butt stock slides REALLY EASILY back in his bag. Since i put very little shoulder on this gun everytime i fired it would slide back about 2" and pop me in my left index finger. Well after about 50 times of this happening on and off and my hands being wet and cold I just happen to notice i didnt have any hide left on my left index knuckle!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Guess i need to figure out a different hold or the IBS should just let ya shoot off a bi pod if ya want

It was a fun event and would have been even better it the weather wasnt crap the whole time. Definantly some interesting guns their, one gun had a completely stainless steel rifle, kinda like those ones i thins Baer makes, and lots of other huge rigs. I kinda wish we would have brought the 338AM and really impressed some people, or possible just have blown them off the surronding benches!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The first lead will fly out of the big 338 AM tommorrow evening and reports will follow. Were getting pretty excited about firing it and some other stuff we been hearing, big things to come!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

take it easy
steve

Was this a shotgun shoot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looks like a lot of fun, that wind is a killer for sure!
keep us posted on the big 338 testing

CAM

That was very interesting.

The F-class at Quantico was very similar weather and I didn't go becuase I didn't want to lay out on the ground in the rain all day with the gun and optics getting soaked.

It seems like you learned a lot about consistent shooting in the wind although I am not sure you would have bagged any prairie dogs with those shots. It seems like with competition shooting that you learn a lot about competition and not so much about shooting the first few times.

Hey Steve !!

That Cooper 6br and you did a good job . Think about it ! your first time and you went to a shootoff !! In the Sinclair catalog there is a device to solve that fore end rocking and you can go back to the factory way with no trouble . It is pretty simple and is a flat bottomed piece of slick plastic or something or the other that attaches to your sling swivel stud location . It doesn''t damage your stock , Check it out!

I am still in the dark about how you know where you hit so as to make adjustments before the record shots ??? F class marks the hits with a big gob stuck in the hole , you dont need a spotting scope to see it , just your rifle scope .

I guess I am asking " what is the course of fire " ?

p.s. Steve , dont throw away those hard earned targets ..........keep them . Then you will have a dramatic change to show your friends as you progress , not to mention a good kick in the butt for yourself as you see your progress

Just a thought , Jim B

Jimm,

There is a 12" and a 7" gong just to the left of each target. You have 6 min and an unlimited # of rounds. It's real easy to see your impacts and make adjustments. As long as it's not snowing to hard that is!!!

You'll need about 125 rounds for the whole thing. Especially if you go to a shoot off or two!!

I'm thinking of going back in July. If I do, I'll stay through Sunday and shoot the 600 yd match as well. Not sure how many rounds I'll need for that but it will be quite a few.

Good job guys! Mother nature sure wasn't nice to you but in those conditions, just hitting paper can be tough sometimes. That 7" group with the BR in bad conditions show skeptics that it is surely a contender.

[ QUOTE ]
Good job guys! Mother nature sure wasn't nice to you but in those conditions, just hitting paper can be tough sometimes. That 7" group with the BR in bad conditions show skeptics that it is surely a contender.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny thing is, there were some guys telling Steve that he should come back the next day for the 600 yd match cause that is what the br is for. They'd say, "That case wasn't designed for shooting that range!!" I guess he showed them.

Bill

The 6BR on the right day can hang in there, however it really is the ticket at 600.

Jason Baney last year in the PA world open, won the HG comp with a straight 6 BR weighing only 14 lb, shooting two 10 shot groups under 5".

Lot of good guns out there now, right day and right conditions almost anyone can win. Keep it going.

BH

[ QUOTE ]
Bill

The 6BR on the right day can hang in there, however it really is the ticket at 600.

Jason Baney last year in the PA world open, won the HG comp with a straight 6 BR weighing only 14 lb, shooting two 10 shot groups under 5".

Lot of good guns out there now, right day and right conditions almost anyone can win. Keep it going.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

BH - actually it was 15.6lbs with a leup 20-50x

The (10-shot) groups were: 6.9" 97 and a 7.7" 96

The 4.7" group was the match AFTER the WO. And the little woman added a 5.3" to its tally later last year...and I just added a 5.8" at Williamsports 1st match 2007.

The cool thing is that is is a no-turn neck chamber...

Too bad I'm out of Clinch Rivers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

When this barrel is toast, it will wear another chambered exactly the same /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif No brass prep is a wonderful thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JB

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.