Mixing powders

Clndesl

Ok so I was working up some loads with r22 and h1000. well when I switched from h1000 to r22 I forgot to empty my trickler so 2 rounds got loaded with 1 or 2 gr of h1000. is this going to hurt anything. They are on my min. loads so Im thinking it wont hurt anything but wanna check with the pros.

what would be the cost to find out? way more than it is worth!! damaged rifle, damaged face or hands, trip to emergengy room? maybe the morgue? pull them and dump the charge.

I have had a buddy blend some powder for me in the past, but he is a chemical engineer and knows his stuff. But don't recomend anyone trying it. I would just pull the bullets and start over to be safe. Its twoo rounds, better to pull them then get a face lift.

Ok so I was working up some loads with r22 and h1000. well when I switched from h1000 to r22 I forgot to empty my trickler so 2 rounds got loaded with 1 or 2 gr of h1000. is this going to hurt anything. They are on my min. loads so Im thinking it wont hurt anything but wanna check with the pros.

The ONLY answer is to pull them and DO NOT shoot them. It's just not a good idea.

That said, I suppose it would partially depend on whether or not this is a really large case like a supermagnum or is it really small like a 22-250? The larger the case, the less worry due to the portion. But none of that really matters when it comes to risk, which you now have.

Dump them and reload the 2 rounds. It would take less time than logging in and posting the question.

what would be the cost to find out? way more than it is worth!! damaged rifle, damaged face or hands, trip to emergengy room? maybe the morgue? pull them and dump the charge.

Right on!! You have no real way of knowing how much was left or what the mix will do. Pull the bullets and discard the pwder.

Jeff

Will do, thanks for the help I was just trying not to waste 70 gr each and it is 4 rounds so thats quite a bit of powder but its definetley not worth it if it is at all dangerous.

I do NOT disagree with dumping the loads, BUT I doubt there is any safety issue!

First we are only talking the TRICKLED powder and not the main powder container, which was only 1-2 grains, this is a known so calculating the ratio would be pretty easy.

Second H1000 is a SLOWER powder than R22 so that would seem to indicate a lower pressure than if you did it the other way.

Third in DEFENSE of dumping the loads, I think that the H1000 is slightly more bulky so your case is MORE full and if you have a compressed load you are MORE compressed.

edge.

That being said I would still rather take the the whacks in the head by a bullet puller [ maybe even a ball pean hammer] than shoot them from one of my rifles.LOL. Now if I had a friend that said " Hold my beer and watch this " I would get out my video phone and say go for it . It may get loads of laughs for everyone or a submittal to a what can happen with badly loaded ammo safety video.

Duplex loads are WAY at the deep end of the pool. Furthermore even when they are used the end result is and must be a fully compressed load where there can be no "intermixing" of the powders or REALLY BAD THINGS LIKE DEATH CAN HAPPEN. I have read about guys using the ultra slow government surplus powders such as WC867 or 874 as the main charge and replacing a couple grains with a "booster charge" of something like Unique or Bullseye right on the primer and then carefully using a drop tube to place the main charge. They were using cases no smaller than the 300 Win Mag using 220 to 230 grain bullets. They reported muzzle velocities in the range of 2,400 to 2,500 fps. So there was no performance advantage to be found with what they had done. It was to done to "get rid" of the cheap surplus powder. Long story short IMO a waste of time and I personally wouldn't mess with it without the ability to pressure test.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.