Mixing powder??

Google "nitrocellulose dust".

Do something like Broz suggests so your mixing process is as gentle as possible and does not create small fine particulate dust. If for some reason you do create dust then do not put it into the containers.

Also you wish to avoid breaking kernels and changing the overall burn rate.

Thanks Buffalobob, I was hoping you would see this and weigh in. As the case often is, something that seems simple and common sense often is not quite so simple, or at least there are things you need to be aware of.

I think I am going to try this with some US 869. It seems the formula is "mix slowly and carefully not raising any dust"......but get an even mix.

Thanks to every one who responded. Anyone else out there, or if you think of something else keep bringing it on, more info is always better!!

The key is to get a complete mix. I would not even bother for a couple pounds. The smallest mix I have done is 5 lbs. The way I go through H-1000 it seems now 8 lb jugs are to small. My next batch will be two 8 lb jugs, unless I am lucky eough to get matching lot numbers. But even then I feel if I mixed them I could trust them more. This is because I would know after I mix them they are now of an equal mix.

As for vertical stringing with my process. Maybe this is why one of these went high at 1000. This was a mixed batch.

Jeff gun)---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSC02315Small.jpg

Gentlemen,
I too have been mixing powders of the same brand (different lots) for years with good results. Last I mixed were two lots of H4350 Extreme for my .300WinMag and of "mixed lots" it was probably the most accurate to date.
I don't do this as a "regular practice" and normally it's very small amounts from one can to another full can. Any difference in the full can's burn characteristic will hardly be noticed.
I have mixed cans of IMR4895, cans of H380, cans of W748, cans of H414, cans of RL22, cans of IMR7828 and IMR7828SC together and cans of H4350 and H4350 Extreme together, all with safe results.
If there is ever a time to "work up slowly" it's after you mix powder lots. Not saying the practice is totally safe - but it is doable. Not something you'd likely ever get a patent on! :)
I do not recommend this process to the novice and anyone reading this is responsible for their own safety. JohnnyK.

Glad this subject came up. I nearly started the same thread yesterday. I have a small amount of H1000 that won't be enough to load but about 20 rounds. My plan is to wait until I have about the same amount in my next pound and mix them. I certainly do not go through the powder of some of you, but it's good to see that this has been done with good results.

I too have been mixing different jugs of the same powder for quite a while now. When I shot trap competitively, I bought Solo1000 in 25# jugs. The container is huge so I kept one for mixing my powders. I can hand tumble the powder so it gets mixed thoroughly and gently. I also do this with Pyrodex for my old muzzleloaders, so I bought a bunch of them up when they went on sale and did the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.