Mixing Powder Lots?

Misfire

Is it acceptable to mix powder lots of the same type? I know that there are variances between lots, but how substantial are the variances? Thanks!

You would have to have first hand knowledge of both lots. If there is nothing out of the ordinary, then feel free to mix them SO LONG as it truly is RL-15 to RL-15 and VARGET to VARGET and so on. Age can have somthing to do with it as the longer a type is manufactured probably the bigger the change. If lots are 50 years apart, make sure that one doesnt burn much hotter than the other.

IE if your old lot gives you premium results at 51.6 grains, make sure that 51.6 grains of the new lot isnt making too much pressure.

Got to disagree. Never mix lots.

RL22 had a very fast lot that got out about 2 yrs ago. I had to drop 4.0 grains to keep from blowing primers and broke two trigger sears and mainsprings one weekend at a match. Needless to say I did not win and I spent $300 for triggers at the match.

Right now, Varget has got out a very slow lot on the market.

Bottom line there is too much lot to lot variance to just switch, especially if you are running at the top end of the pressure limits or close already.

BH

I agree with Bountyhunter. There's really no good reason to do it. The cost savings of 30g of left over powder isn't that valuable. Throw it on your wife's flower bed. Makes good fertilizer.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.