Mix and match dies for 6.5-300win mag, will this work?

Oliveralan

I have a pile of 300 win mag brass, and can get a good deal on a savage 6.5-300 win mag barrel, and I would love a screaming 6.5. So my question is, could I use a 300 win mag full length sizing die with removed decapping stem to FL size, along with 264 win mag dies for seating and neck sizing? While I can get a good deal on the barrel, custom dies would take up most of the "good deal" component.

Oliver

If its a standard chamber 6.5-300 WM then the fl die should work in combo with a neck die for the 6.5. Its best to neck to 7mm first then to 6.5 to stay away from crushing the case or pushing out the head of it. I would think you will need to turn the necks some because they will grow in thickness when necked down. If you give me the chamber specs i could help figure this out for you. You may not need to buy a expensive set of dies for it either. Redding sells some fairly odd stuff for mostly good prices....

bobby

+1 on BoobyL's advice.
Heck, if you already have the dies and the brass, run them through and see what happens.
I bet it will be a great LR round! Perfect for LR antelope!
If the barrel is a great deal -get it!
It will be great to see what type of performance it gives.

I have 300 win mag dies, I'd have to buy the seater. Also I checked and hornady makes universal nek sizing dies, I.e. will size anything with/to a 6.5mm neck.

Then I just need to decide what seating die.

Shooting one of the final ladder tests tomorrow morning (12hrs from posting time) and will have a write up up tomorrow evening. So far it has been EXTREMELY successful!

Shooting one of the final ladder tests tomorrow morning (12hrs from posting time) and will have a write up up tomorrow evening. So far it has been EXTREMELY successful!

I'm anxious to see the range report. Be sure to include pics of the rifle and maybe a side by side comparison of your ammo vs. other 6.5mm cartridges ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.