MIRAGE `~~~

After reading your comments I am somewhat flabbergasted, ( Yes an old lady term but since I am an old lady it is acceptable) that you would simply quit shooting when you encounter mirage. Mirage can be and is your friend if you understand what it does for you and how to use it effectively to help with your long range shooting. Mirage is a good way to determine the wind direction and speed across the area you are shooting. It's not unusual to see mirage drifting in different directions as you look down range. What is it telling you? The direction and wind velocity as you look down range. It may change a few times between where you are and where you are looking. It also will cause you to determine that you need to change your elevation settings as it will make the target seem to drift upwards which will cause you to hit low as you try to follow its rise., Take the time to learn to read mirage and your scores will improve proportionately. Don't quit when you see mirage, use it to tighten your groups and scores.
Ms Teri, I'm not competing with my rifles, well , except will myself. Not much in the way of competitions around my neck of the woods. My comments were based solely on how mirage blows my feel good groupings up to fire starter paper . If I were out west where it was normal to shoot 500+ yards anytime I felt the urge, I'd most definitely deal with mirage in attempts on MOA steel. I just like sending rounds through the same hole with repeatability. Mirage takes that off the table ......for me , anyway.

Ms Teri, I'm not competing with my rifles, well , except will myself. Not much in the way of competitions around my neck of the woods. My comments were based solely on how mirage blows my feel good groupings up to fire starter paper . If I were out west where it was normal to shoot 500+ yards anytime I felt the urge, I'd most definitely deal with mirage in attempts on MOA steel. I just like sending rounds through the same hole with repeatability. Mirage takes that off the table ......for me , anyway.
Mirage, whenever you encounter it can be either a help or a hindrance depending on how much you understand it. Up in this neck of the woods our gun hunting seasons are not during warm months so mirage is not generally an issue even thought during warm weather is can rear its ugly head when hunting across recently plowed fields when hunting Coyotes and the like.

I couldn't agree more with your comment, I have experienced the same thing here in Idaho. Trying to get a rifle to group in the afternoon will only make you want to pull your hair out. Early morning and late at night works the best for me.
Here in the East there is some range that are affected by thermals in the early or late at night so one has to pay attention to it while shooting as well.