Shooting in mirage

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
I know this has been discussed here before but I can not find it using the search.

Yesterday we went out and did some load development and shooting. It was not a good day for any of us. Calm, bright sun, and mirage. Four different shooters and seven rifles. None performed nearly as well as expected. In looking back I am now wondering if we were having trouble with the mirage.

So if any of you would care to give your knowledge of how to shoot in mirage and what one can expect it to do to your shooting, that would be great.

Steve

Steve, I had a similar experience yesterday as well. I was confirming zero and drops. In the end I plan to reshoot the data. I think that mirage tends to make me shoot low. Like it elevates the target image. My problem always seems to show up when I am trying to split a fine aim point. groups may be somewhat acceptable but not where I think they should be elevation wise.

As far as combatting mirage. I guess the only things one could do would be to turn down the magnification. But that is hard if you are looking for solid pin point data. Or wait for a cloud or overcast day.

Funny that I have never had mirage be a problem while hunting. It is always when engaging a target. We just got some good rain last week so there is moisture in the ground. Then when it warms up like this the afternoons with rising surface temps seem to be the perfect scenario for mirage.

Jeff

Needless to say yesterday was very frustrating. I think we wasted hundreds in bullets and powder.

Steve

Did you turn your scope down to low power?

No, I tried but would have to go too low to dissect the aim point so I tried to break the trigger when all aligned.

Needless to say yesterday was very frustrating. I think we wasted hundreds in bullets and powder.

Steve

I agree, I plan to reshoot to confirm all I did yesterday.

Jeff

In a way I am glad to hear that I was not the only one.:rolleyes: I really felt like I should give up all this precision stuff. I can't shoot, can't load, don't know what I am doing. Told my buddy that I was going to go to the store and get a Vangaurd 30-06 and two boxes of factory ammo and go hunting.

Steve

If you're trying to do precision zero work in bad mirage, IMO it's out of the question. If you already have a good zero and know your trajectory then it's probably good practice to see what affect the mirage is giving you.

I do know the feeling of "wasting" shots in mirage. Definitely frustrating.

In a way I am glad to hear that I was not the only one.:rolleyes: I really felt like I should give up all this precision stuff. I can't shoot, can't load, don't know what I am doing. Told my buddy that I was going to go to the store and get a Vangaurd 30-06 and two boxes of factory ammo and go hunting.

Steve

I would be lying if I said I had not felt the same way at times. What I need to do is be more selective in choosing the day I zero and confirm drops. Once I am past the finalized drops and make my program match I have the confidence to engage game. Then a few good clean kills and I am a happy shooter. Like I said I have never had an issue with mirage on game either. Maybe a sunny day shooting long range prairie dogs, but never large game.

To finish the day yesterday I got the wind mostly behind me and sent a few to 2971 yards on a huge rock face with a aim point of about 1 moa. I was surprised that for this shot there was little to no mirage. So, maybe we need to look for targets and aim points higher off the ground away from the surface moisture that is boiling out of the soil ??

Jeff

Steve

That would be a lot cheaper :D

I would be lying if I said I had not felt the same way at times. What I need to do is be more selective in choosing the day I zero and confirm drops. Once I am past the finalized drops and make my program match I have the confidence to engage game. Then a few good clean kills and I am a happy shooter. Like I said I have never had an issue with mirage on game either. Maybe a sunny day shooting long range prairie dogs, but never large game.

To finish the day yesterday I got the wind mostly behind me and sent a few to 2971 yards on a huge rock face with a aim point of about 1 moa. I was surprised that for this shot there was little to no mirage. So, maybe we need to look for targets and aim points higher off the ground away from the surface moisture that is boiling out of the soil ??

Jeff

Yes. We shoot in a hay meadow. Flat with grass. Finding places to shoot long in NW MT that you can drive to the target is difficult.

Steve

here is a thread I have saved from another forum I read . it is long but has some good info .

the range I use is a 500 meter silhouette range . it is only being taken care of to the 100 meter line . from 100M on out to 500M is goldenrod and small trees almost up to my shoulders . there is a small stream that weaves it's way through the range . to say there is a lot of moisture here is an understatement . the shooting conditions get horrible as soon as the sun comes out . Jim

Mirage Help

For what it's worth MontanaMarine and I went out to shoot again today. My last shots yesterday with mirage were 10" or about 1 moa low at 1050 yards. I knew this was bad data and decided to reshoot it. The aim point was constantly moving and a center hold was next to impossible. Today, same load same rifle I was on at 1118 yards. So I think if shooting in mirage you may want to hold on the targets highest elevation as it rises and falls. Like I said before it seems the mirage makes me shoot low.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.