Millett vs. Vortex need advice

Rem700addict

Hey guys, i'm in the market for a scope around the $400 range and i've been looking at the Vortex Viper series and the Millett series in this range. I'll be mounting the scope to a .300wm rem700. My honest shooting range will be around 500-600yrds and this will be a hunting rifle but weight is not of my concern. I want to shoot 1000yrds, but haven't found a place quite yet. I guess my question is, is the Millett close to the same glass as the Vortex? With the Millett I could save a little money and spend it on reloading or bases and rings, but I don't want to sacrifice the quality glass for it. Also if there's a better option to look at please let me know. I've even thought about the buckmaster series, but being 40mm lense and non turrets i've kinda leaned toward these other scopes. I'm open to any advice you guys may have, thanks.

I own two Vortex scopes, a Viper 6.5-20X44 Mil-Dot, and a Viper HS 4-16X44 BDC and I LOVE them. They certainly are the best "tactical" scopes I've found for the price.

I don't really have any experience with Millets, but I can definitely give two thumbs up for Vortex. They have good solid adjustments, finger-adjustable turrets that pull up to re-zero, clear glass, good magnification ranges, and MOST importantly... they stay zeroed unlike many other low priced brands.

In fact, the only complaint that I have is that the finish on my Viper HS scratches very easily. Finger-nail easily. But that's only cosmetic. Other than that, I don't think there is a better scope out there for under $500.

Hope this helps.

millet is not a bad scope, but its not in vortex viper league. mabye diamondback or crossfire league

I have both scopes and would go with the Vortex series from now on. I have Crossfire and Viper scopes and Diamondback binos in Vortex and love them all. My Millet's are the Buckgold line so some of their newer upper lines may be better?

Well after much thought and reading, I decided to go with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x-40mm with side focus and mil dot reticle. My other scope is a Nikon and i've been pleased with it so I thought i'd give this scope a try. With my current situation I felt this gave me a little more money to spend on reloading supplies and mounts then going with the Vortex Viper scope I was looking at. I also was realistic with myself and came to the understanding that I would be making most of my shots in the 500-600 yrd range. I don't think i'll be dissapointed with my purchase, if anyone has any info on this scope please chim in, thanks guys.

ive had 3 6-18 nikon buckmasters. glass was good for the price. 2 things about it i could not deal with anymore was bad about having tunnel vision.

and non of the 3 i had tracked at all. i was using holdovers so i didnt care about tracking. if you plan to dial for range the nikon will not work. tracking is a important and often overlooked feature in a scope. just because you cant look at the outside and see it or look at the glass and see it doesnt mean its not important

all the vortex vipers i've looked thru did not match the millett trs 1 series of scopes. the vortex's all were foggy around the edges while sighting on objects no matter how they were adjusted. the milletts had better glass and better features . i don't care for the buckmasters because they utilize old technology with 1" tubes and small 40mm objectives. those days are in the past for me.milletts have 30 or even 35mm tubes and 50mm or bigger objectives which gather more light and have better clarity.

Millet makes a good scope. The glass is good and the clicks are very positive and repeatable. WhenI'be heard negative comments, they were usually about the TRS line.

The LRS line works very well. 6 X24X50. 1/10 mil clicks Clear out to the edges. I like mine.

after viewing thru a new weaver tactical series scope i wouldn't buy the millet or any model of vortex ,not even the pst. the new weavers are awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.