Millet or Super Sniper?

nwolf

I am looking to buy a new scope and was set on the Millet LRS-1. Im now thinking of maybe going with an SS 10X scope. My current problem is that I have a couple of cheap scopes that dont track or return to zero properly and am loosing confidence quickly. I want a scope that will hit where it should, prety simple right?
I would like to know that when I dial up 2 MOA my bullet will now be hiting 2 inches higher at 100 yards instead of the way it is now where it may hit 3 or 1 or 6 inches in any direction.
The LRS-1 has all the features I want. The problem is that I am not sure about its reliability. The SS 10X seems to have the reliability I want but I am kind of spoiled by the high power scopes I use now.
Price and dependablity are my number one priorities. I am leaning toward the LRS-1 so if I need to go another rout please try hard, Im stuborn.:D
You should probably know that it will be on my howa 1500 300 win mag with no muzle break.

Went through the same thought process as you are going through. Can't give you any answers today but I will say that I've got a new SS 10X under the tree. I talked to a lot of people that gave positive reviews on the SS but can't find very many that have experience with the other. I couldn't find anyone that had both and could give a fair comparison. It'll be a while before the weather here in Montana will allow me to ring it out but we do get some pretty decent days now and then. I have a number of Leo, Swaros, Nikon, and a Huskemaw so this isn't the first scope that will get the scrutiny. I am going to put it on a Savage .243 and use it mainly for practice. Keep in touch and let us know what you decide and the results you come up with.

I have pretty extensive experience with the SuperSniper.

Both have continually tracked spot on.

The 16X didn't pass light at either end of the day and on the shady side of the mountain wasn't worth a squat. For bright day time shooting its great.

Roy, does that mean that you have the LRS and the SS? If so, wich do you prefer?

I have another scope that was on my pellet gun that I never considered using. After reading some reveiws on it, I took it out and sure enough, it tracks perfectly. Dont laugh, its a $70 center point! I ran that scope all over the paper today trying to mess it up and it wouldnt break. It is a 4-16 that I could use for hunting so now Im realy stuck. Do I go with the big, cool 25X that I hope works, or the fixed 10 that probably will? If I have a fall back I'm more likely to take a gamble.

2 things to look out for with pellet rifle scopes. 1, parallax adjustment, most pellet rifle scopes are built with shorter ranges in mind. 2, durability, a few good rides with winmag recoil might knock the scope silly.

were you shooting it on your winmag the other day?

If you truly want to knock a scope silly.....mount it on a air rifle. Not talking about a Red Ryder BB gun, mount a brand new Leupold VII 3-9 on a RWS 48....watch what happens after 10 shots.
Just don't tell Leupold it was mounted on a air rifle, unless you need a piece of crap laying in the tool box gathering dust.

Been there done that.....

Cowboy.....
Did you get to open that present yet?
How does it do??

Scott

yes, the forward recoil pulse in an air rifle will destroy a centerfire scope. Just because an air rifle scope is built to handle a big forward pulse doesn't necessarily mean its built to handle the reverse recoil pulse of a centerfire. It might handle the recoil, it might not, I've never tried putting an air rifle scope on a centerfire so i can't say. its just something to consider.

Yes, it was on my 300. And I went through another 150 rounds with it this weekend. I cant beleive this thing is taking it. I checked the measurement of my clicks with a speacial target, and they measure .254 per click, not bad huh. I need a better scope for long range hunting but I think I will spend my money right now on a new match barrel, since I seem to have a scope with repeatable clicks that can get me by.

I bought a second one of these scopes so I think I will try to keep a log on here of how it stands up. I shoot about 100 rounds a week through this rifle, so if its gonna break it shouldnt take me long. When it does, I have a spare.

[QUOTE
Cowboy.....
Did you get to open that present yet?
How does it do??
Scott[/QUOTE]

Yes - the wife got the correct order number and it was under the tree. First impression was: very heavy for a straight power - it looks like it was built by somebody like Night Force. Glass quality seems to be acceptable on first impression looking at mine and the neighbors livestock in the pastures at varying distances. Hoped to get it mounted up but realized out of the dozen sets of rings I have in the reloading room I didn't have any 30mm left. That's as far as I have got with it up to now as we have company until the 1st of year and wives have kept us on the straight and Holiday narrow path.

I am looking to buy a new scope and was set on the Millet LRS-1. Im now thinking of maybe going with an SS 10X scope. My current problem is that I have a couple of cheap scopes that dont track or return to zero properly and am loosing confidence quickly. I want a scope that will hit where it should, prety simple right?
I would like to know that when I dial up 2 MOA my bullet will now be hiting 2 inches higher at 100 yards instead of the way it is now where it may hit 3 or 1 or 6 inches in any direction.
The LRS-1 has all the features I want. The problem is that I am not sure about its reliability. The SS 10X seems to have the reliability I want but I am kind of spoiled by the high power scopes I use now.
Price and dependablity are my number one priorities. I am leaning toward the LRS-1 so if I need to go another rout please try hard, Im stuborn.:D
You should probably know that it will be on my howa 1500 300 win mag with no muzle break.

The SS line are all mil-spec. Everything is over built. You will not find a scope that tracks better or is more repeatable.

Some simple searches on OpticsTalk.com and SnipersHide.com will reveal all you want to know about Millett's quality.

Here are a couple, there are endless amounts of these if you want to take the time to search.

The Optics Talk Forums - Millett LRS-1 Problems....Uggh...... - Page 1

Millett LRS-1 Took a Dump - Sniper's Hide Forums

I have read those, however, I have found just as many that say the opposite. That is why I brought out the question. The SS is dependable but dosen't have all the features I'm looking for. The millet has the features but questionable as to weather you will get a good one. In the bad reveiws of the millets you will see that they were either broken when new or within the first 100 rounds. Just wanted to see if any one on here had any expereince.

Not to 'steal the topic', but I think this question will also help the original poster in his decision.

SWFA,

What is the return rate on the Millet vs. the SS optics?
(if you even keep track of anything like that)

Scott

That last comment wasnt meant to be an argument as I'm actually leaning toward the 20-X SS now. I just dont think I can aford to gamble, and I never turn my scopes off of the highest power unless I have to for ranging.

The Millett is feature rich and there is not much in its price range with those features. You just can't build a dependable scope with those features for that price. You would be much better off just saving some more money and going with a PST. We have some coming to us now but they are all pre-sold.

We don't monitor and document return rates but I can tell you that Millett is at the top along with BSA and Barska from what I see and what our returns department tells me. Things did get better once Bushnell acquired them in regards to QC but they are still problematic.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.