Mile long club

Rogmay

Starting to work up loads to shoot my new 7mm rifle and want to make the mile long club, shooting a Cooper 7mm, 1:9 twist, 26" tube, VX-6 3-18-44. Working up some 180 hybrids. Shot in a lot of competitions when youger so I'm not new to the game. Is there a set standard in size of target that people shoot at? For me to feel succesfull I would like to be able to hit the target on a consistant bases! I've never shot that far so on a calm controlled day My goal would be to keep 1 MOA and then shrink it from there! I would think with some of the top equipment out there I'm sure .5 MOA is more like it! what are your thoughts, thanks!

My shooting buddy and I set up a 4'x8' sheet(s) of particle board ($6-8ea) side by side. We usually cover the whole board with white paper and then staple a 15" round dot in the center.
I originally used a much smaller base board but he uses his .308 and it drifts alot more than either my 6.5-284 or .300WinMag. The wind is a rifleman's biggest foe when shooting these distances. Good luck. JohnnyK.

As a rule of thumb most long range targets are at 3 minutes of angle Example 1000 yards are 20 inches and 2000 yards are 40 inches do a mile would be around 35 1/2 inches.

No biggy, I was wondering if something changed out past certain distances!

Joel Russo on here does lots of mile shooting and has the stick for it.He just posted a 4 inch minus group at 1680 yards,just cant remeber thread it was in

The large sheets of particle board are fine for documenting group size, but are difficult to see hits when you are trying to get on target. Especially with the smaller calibers. What tends to happen is that you can follow the wash for a bit, but then lose it before the bullet strikes the board. You cannot see the splash from behind the board. We found that a 36" steel gong, placed on a gently sloping hill, with a target board placed directly next to it works well. The gong allows you to see your hits, and also allows you to see the misses as they strike the dirt close by. After you get "on steel", it's very easy to move directly left or right to then "go on paper"...
I applaud you and you friend for using the smaller calibers, they certainly force you to read and shoot through conditions more so than the large calibers.

I'll never forget my first shot at the gong at a mile. Bullet strike was center mass.. I turned around and looked at my spotter in disbelief. He calmly said, send more.. I did, and the next four were within close proximity. He then calmly said "go on paper". I did, and that's when I spanked that 3.806" group.

Here's the target sp6x6 was referring to.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 14
Couldn't get another picture to upload, so here's another group using the set up as previously described.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 12
Thats awsome shooting, thanks for the reply's! I'm now looking forward to shooting the distance even more!

Not sure what rail you are going to use but I think that scope only has ~70 or 75 total MOA of elevation. You will probably need somewhere around 70.
I remember a story about a guy shooting a .223 with 90 grain bullets went straight from load development at 100 yards to a mile. He eventually got there with something like 190 feet of drop. Good luck and keep your progress posted !

Wedgy, I [put on a 20MOA rail, the scope does have 75 MOA, depending on my velocities I'm thinking I'll be pretty close!

Rogmay &friend keep up the great work and keep us posted ,Joel you to congrats that's Ausome shooting !!!,Kirk my friend you funny n you know it ,lol, again congrats all around,and Happy New Year Everybody gun) gun) gun) regards jjmp

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts