Mil-Dot ranging Elk and Deer

One (of many) concept that's important to note here is that range becomes geometrically greater the farther out you go, such that interpolating the mil-reading needs to become much more accurate, and will eventually become ineffective (easily seen from Diamondback's chart above).

Last edited:
When I first started shooting long range I used Mildots to range deer successfully out to 500-600 yards. Firstly, since there will be a degree of error using Mildots to range game I quickly realized that I could reduce this error radically by using a flat shooting caliber. With my 308 at 500 yards on deer I had to accurately range to within 25 yards. With my 270 SM I could take that error to 50 yards. The simple formula I used to develop a range chart was to multiply the chest area in inches of my game by 27.8. This would give me the range of that animal using 1 Mil. An 18"
Chest of a deer woul be 1 mil=500 yards. At this point you can use simple arithmetic to build your chart. 500 yards divided by Mildots
1 mil - 500 yards (28" deer chest X 27.8)
1.5 mil - 333 yards (500 yards/1.5)
2 mil - 250 yards (500 yards/2)
3 mil - 167 yards (500 yards/3)
.8 mil - 625 yards (500 yard/.8)
You can build your chart with as many multiples of a mil as you desire.
Elk wouldl be easier to range as the larger the target the easier the ranging,given equal distances. In the case of a 30" chest of an elk the 1 mil distance would be 834 yards (30x 27.8). 2mils would be 417 yards.......

Pretty easy, fast, and with practice, it works well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.