Mid range deer/elk

7SAUM is what i use for the game and ranges mentioned.

I get exceptional results with 160 accubonds or the 168 hunting vld's.

So..it looks like the masses have spoken....7-08 AI. But now I gotta ask...why? Why the AI over a 284. I would think that they would be close , balistic wise, but with the added step of FFing. Like I said in the OP...fire forming isn't a problem, but with the 284 you get a little more of a good thing without the FFing?

And, if I wasn't clear, recoil isn't an issue. The 6.5-47 tube was for the kid to shoot and the new lightweight tube is for the old man.

Thanks,
Tod

That's why I voted for .284! :)

If the old man opted for the 7-08AI, he can always develop loads for 7-08 and AI; that's what I do with my .270 AI. Another option is hydraulic form die, I have a custom die from Whidden ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/KCqb_7UYh9k?t=1[/ame]

... for my .30 Lara.

8MM%20Rem%20Mag%20to%20.30%20Lara_zpsbkt6bf0s.jpg

From L to R ...

1 - 8MM Rem Mag virgin brass
2 - After a couple of whacks off hydraulic form die
3 - After running through the resizing die
4 - FF off the chamber

Cheers!

In a short action build, the 6.5 creedmoor is ideal. I would take it elk hunting over a 308 if u want to shoot an elk at 400 yds. Then magazine length is not a problem and the 6.5 bullet choices are endless.

7-08AI is probably a good choice, if handloading is preferred. The .308, Factory 165 Nosler Accubond, through a 24" tube will, at 5000', show about 2400/2110 at 300, 2151/1695 at 500. Should be enough for just about anything.

7-08, 140gr barnes TTSX is all you need for a young shooter. Rem700 SA
Mine has taken several elk at 450, 478, 520 and 625yds. Deer at various yards. Hogs DRT. Varmints coyotes, fox, bobcat, ground squirrels 100gr or 120gr V-Max.
Cost is the same no matter the caliber in a short action. Ackley is a good choice, but why bother. If you have the money it can be done at a later date. Mount a one piece base, quality rings and a good scope. Done!
Presently my 8 year old grandson is knocking em dead with his pellet gun, Winchester 9422, and 22 Hornet. When he's ready for deer the 243 is ready for him.

Make it fun for your youngsters!
Gonzo

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.