Mid Priced Scopes

beretta_man11

I'd really like to get feedback on some mid priced, lower powered scopes. As with most people, I'm looking for good low light performance out of a hunting scope. Low power around 2 with upper end around 10x. I like the idea of at least a 50mm obj.

Here is where I'm at:
$330 Nikon Prostaff 5 - 2.5-10x50 1" BDC
$350 Nikon Prostaff 7 - 2.5-10x50 30mm BDC
$500 Sig Whiskey5 - 2.4-12x56 30mm plex
$600 Nikon Monarc5 - 2.5-10x50 1" BDC
$600 Minox zx5 - 2-10x50
$680 Trijicon Accupwr - 2.5-10x56 30mm MOA

Your thoughts?

(original post) http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f84/mid-priced-scopes-179761/

I think you will be happy with any of those scopes. I tend to like between a 3-4x as my minimum so I don't have experience with the exact scopes, but I can tell you that the Nikons have excellent glass for the money in my opinion. All of the others are excellent as well. You may want to take a closer look at the Trijicon because of the illuminated dot in them that will be beneficial for low light shots.

You may want to give our Toric 2.5-10x42mm a look. While only in a 42mm objective, I've found quality glass and coating do more for giving you a brighter image than a bigger objective. JB wrote a good article over on 24hcf on that very subject.

Few things about the Toric:

Schott HT Glass, Coming out of the LOW factory in Japan, Glass etched reticle, zero stop turret, custom turrets can be made as well.

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes/toric-2-10x42-t-plex

Getting a lot of scope for the money, and on top of that, we're running a Christmas sale right now for 15% off. You may want to look into TRACT a little bit, but to give you the cliff notes, were a direct to consumer only retailer, so no added middle man margin. OL and American rifleman have some articles on us as well as some reviews up on various forums.

Just want to throw our hat in the ring as well

You may want to give our Toric 2.5-10x42mm a look. While only in a 42mm objective, I've found quality glass and coating do more for giving you a brighter image than a bigger objective. JB wrote a good article over on 24hcf on that very subject.

Few things about the Toric:

Schott HT Glass, Coming out of the LOW factory in Japan, Glass etched reticle, zero stop turret, custom turrets can be made as well.

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes/toric-2-10x42-t-plex

Getting a lot of scope for the money, and on top of that, we're running a Christmas sale right now for 15% off. You may want to look into TRACT a little bit, but to give you the cliff notes, were a direct to consumer only retailer, so no added middle man margin. OL and American rifleman have some articles on us as well as some reviews up on various forums.

Just want to throw our hat in the ring as well
This is the first time I have heard about these scopes and just by reading over the details and looking at them on your website, they look awesome! These scopes definitely bring a lot to the table for the money!

This is the first time I have heard about these scopes and just by reading over the details and looking at them on your website, they look awesome! These scopes definitely bring a lot to the table for the money!

Thanks Jerry. Our goal is to offer more features at great prices.

To the OP, one small bit of more information about TRACT. Our founders came from Nikon. They left because of a little too much corporate influence and restrictions. With forming TRACT, we aren't under the magnifying glass of a larger corporation and don't have to abide by pricing restrictions to ensure another middle man hits his 45%.

Thanks Jerry. Our goal is to offer more features at great prices.

To the OP, one small bit of more information about TRACT. Our founders came from Nikon. They left because of a little too much corporate influence and restrictions. With forming TRACT, we aren't under the magnifying glass of a larger corporation and don't have to abide by pricing restrictions to ensure another middle man hits his 45%.
Are there plans for a regular moa and mil based reticle?? FFP??

Cabelas has the VX6 2-12 x42 Duplex with Zero-Lock (30mm tube) on sale for $699. That's a hell of a deal.

I have a couple of the Minox ZX 5 HD's in 3-15x42. I find those to be quite clear and sharp. Tracking is pretty good for the $$$, not a Swarovski or NF but then again, they don't cost that much either. I also have the 2-10x50 and like it quite well. Not too heavy but they all have been durable so far. None are on heavy recoiling rifles though.
Minox has come out with a replacement for the ZX5 line of sorts - the ZX5i series. It offers illuminated reticles and might be worth a look.

I have just received a Whiskey 5 3-15x42. I opted for it over the x56 version as I didn't want one mounted as high as I'd have to mount. I will be putting it on a Tikka T3 308 and hope to get out and play with it a bit this weekend. So far, I'd put it's optics right up there with a Zeiss Conquest HD 3-15x44 that I have on my 264 WM.
I'll wring it out as soon as I can and report back.

I looked through the Nikon Prostaffs and to MY eyes, the 7 was the clearer of the two. This was just comparing them in a store though, so I didn't get to run them through any tests/shots.

Thank you very much for your response.

I just ordered a Minox zx5i 2-10x50. I really hope it's as good as I'm thinking it should be. I did pick up a 3-12x42 prostaff 7 and to my eyes, the glass is very good and seems to be a well made scope for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.