micro grooves - rifleing ?

soundwaves

took a look at a mates german 300wm rifle. and the rifleing in the barell was so small, l couldnt belive it. the rifleing was like drawn in the barell with a pencil. hard to describe. eaven fainter than an air rifle. l thought the rifle was shot out. but the thing is accurate. l asked him about it and he said it had 0.5mm or something of micro grooves. what is this exactly ? never heard of it.

Last edited:
How many lands/grooves did the barrel have?

Marlin firearms is known for its microgroove rifling in their 22 rimfire rifles. These are known to be very accurate. The microgroove rifling looks very small//thin like you described.

It could have been polygonal or octagonal rifling. If so, that's been proven on pistols (usually in .45 caliber). If they're doing that in rifles, then that's pretty cool.

Marlin firearms is known for its microgroove rifling in their 22 rimfire rifles. These are known to be very accurate. The microgroove rifling looks very small//thin like you described.

Also in their bigger centerfires. Marlin holds a patent for "microgroove" rifling. I killed my first deer with a Marlin 336 30-30 with microgroove rifling, it was very accurate for a lever gun. Basically microgroove is a lot of lands, 12 I think in a 30 cal, with shallow grooves and canted sides like 5R rifling.

Also in their bigger centerfires. Marlin holds a patent for "microgroove" rifling. I killed my first deer with a Marlin 336 30-30 with microgroove rifling, it was very accurate for a lever gun. Basically microgroove is a lot of lands, 12 I think in a 30 cal, with shallow grooves and canted sides like 5R rifling.
This is correct. The original purpose was to give a tighter seal than button rifled barrels allowing less gas to escape ahead of the bullet and to achieve higher velocities at equal or lower pressures.

I have an 1895SS Marlin with the microgroove rifling and it shoots extremely accurately for a lever gun.

Last edited:
Marlin started microgroove rifling in the 336 rifles in 1956 (thanks Google! :D). Dad has an old 1960's JM-stamped 336 .30-30 that he bought in the early 70's (black walnut tiger-striped stock with a gold trigger) that has the microgroove rifling. I took my first deer with it when I was probably around 10. With the old cheap Remington ammo it was Minute of Pie plate at 100 yards, but when I tried some Hornady LeverEvolution ammo in it, it started shooting around 1 to 1.5 MOA. It was like a whole new rifle. I was shocked to say the least. It would easily be a 250-300 yard (max) deer rifle now, instead of the old 50-100 yard brush gun everybody thinks of.

So, if anyone wonders if the LeverEvolution ammo really works to get more out of their lever guns...It did for me.

Marlin started microgroove rifling in the 336 rifles in 1956 (thanks Google! :D). Dad has an old 1960's JM-stamped 336 .30-30 that he bought in the early 70's (black walnut tiger-striped stock with a gold trigger) that has the microgroove rifling. I took my first deer with it when I was probably around 10. With the old cheap Remington ammo it was Minute of Pie plate at 100 yards, but when I tried some Hornady LeverEvolution ammo in it, it started shooting around 1 to 1.5 MOA. It was like a whole new rifle. I was shocked to say the least. It would easily be a 250-300 yard (max) deer rifle now, instead of the old 50-100 yard brush gun everybody thinks of.

So, if anyone wonders if the LeverEvolution ammo really works to get more out of their lever guns...It did for me.
I've been building up a supply of 45-70 brass for reloading and have been shooting the Lever Evolution ammo to that end. Had very good results with it so far too.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.