Grooves 3 or 6?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by liltank, Oct 30, 2009.

1. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

Well the title pretty much says it. I want a barrel that will shoot the 208 a-max and possibly the 210 JLK. I see guys using 3 grove and just about every barrel manufacturer have a standard 6 groove. So my question is what is better? I am thinking that if I can get away with a 1:12 verses something tighter, I would be able to push the bullet harder with my 300WSM. My compromise twist would be a 1:11, I really want to stay away from a 1:10 because I am not going to be shooting anything heavy enough to really need that kind of spin.

What say you?

Tank

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Tank. It would be hard to say what is better because they both have their strong points.

I have a 3 grove lilja and lots of 6 and 8 grove barrels and have yet to shoot the 3 grove
    enough to say one is better than the other.

Dan Lilja has a FAQ section on his web site and that may answer your question.

Check out Liljas web site and he can help you with the recommended twist for your
    rifle.

J E CUSTOM

3. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

I'm liking the 3 groove 11 Lilja has to offer. I'm thinking I don't want to sell my self short with a 12 and not get the performance I want.

Tank

4. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Tank, if you check the JLK web site, they list a 10 twist for their 210 VLD and LBT bullets, and if you ever decide to try something like a GS HV 177, 10 is the minimun you need for that.

Just something to think about.

JLK Home

Mark

5. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Tank,

I've been really disrespectful to a 3 groove Lilja w/an 8 twist. A little more than 8#s of powder through it at an averange of ~95 gr a pop. And she still have very little to none copper fouling depending on which bullet is being used.

I would say from that experience that a 3 groove 11 twist in 30 cal would out last a couple of generations of liltanks.

Shrink the bore to .277 then robust bullets/jackets are a problem at extreme velocities.