metal gong target

just got several different size ar500 targets for club from gongshot.com, very good to deal with and I'm impressed with the targets/price/and the service.

if you have a metal supply pace by you go look through their remnants. I made adjstable stands from aluminum pipe using fence post corners. It was only about 60 bucks to make 3. They will also have mild steel plates for cheap but you will punch holes right through it. I got lucky and they had some armour plate for about $30 for a 12in plate. I believe you need 300 brunell hardness or harder to make good plates that wont get holes. Someone else may know exactly.

I made some really good ones years ago from used discs from a pasture renovator.

The convex shape is great as it makes it all but impossible to punch through them because you won't hit them flat on.

They were 26" Dia and about 5/8 or 3/4" thick anyhow if I remember right.

Scrap yards in a rural/farm area can be your friend. So can welding shops and impliment houses as they will tend to have things like that laying around you can buy for scrap price.

I made mine out of a old cutting edge from a front end loader. It was 5" wide so I cut 5" squares and welded them together to make 10"x10". Hardly makes a dent when they are shot. Best part was it was all free.

May want to check Widener's out of Johnson City, good prices and selection delivered to your door.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.