Meplat trimming and Pointing dies.

1maxhunter

Getting back into high power shooting again but mid range with scopes. Im shooting a .308 with a sierra 168 HPBT. it cronos at 2650. we will be shooting out to 500 yards. my loaded ammo shoots under halh inch at 100 yrds. alot of times quarter inch or less. Im wondering how much improvement is seen by squaring up the meplat and using a pointing die to finish. What do you guys think? what brands would you buy if so? Thanks for the help..

There is no 'gain' in meplat trimming alone, and if you simply trim noses for same bullet or nose length you'll end up with a detriment from varying meplat diameters.
Pointing reduces both drag, and variance of it, provided you don't drop meplat to 10 thou or below.

I bought into Whidden & Montour Country early, but IMO Hoover offers the best system(trimmer and pointer): https://bullettipping.com/
You might trim before tipping to get a uniform bullet nose length and squared meplat. This is prerequisite to best pointing, but there is an issue to consider about all this.
When meplats differ in diameter, this is likely accompanied by an ogive radius shift. How then do you trim meplats to same diameter?
You don't even have a way to measure meplats. And if not the same diameter prior to pointing, how well does that work?
It's my contention that consistent diameter is what meplat trimming itself is really for, and if you ALSO point then you need same bullet OAL to do that. You need both, and you also want the same bullet BC, so you want the same nose shapes.

To get all of it you need to first qualify ogive radius, so that trimmer brings meplats to same diameter,, while also causing same OAL -IF bearing plus base length are same. That's 2 more tools needed prior to trimming/pointing:
-Base to ogive(BTO) comparator
-Bob Green Comparator (BGC)

Otherwise, if intent to take shortcuts, I suggest leaving bullets alone. Pull out all together.

Thank you for that. Some of those ideas have come to mind. that's where i thought going to a tipped bullet might eliminate this issue. Plastic tip sierra.?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.