Melting/deforming Poly tips in flight.

What ever happened to the Remington factory loaded Bronze Points? It would seem that these would eliminate the deformation of the tips experienced here. As I recall they were only available in 150 and 180 grain 308 & 30/06 loads.
You could get them in 270Win also. That's all my uncle used on whitetail for years.

I guess my question was this just the case with the tips Hornady used or is the melting of tips an issue of other manufacturers bullets? I have not noticed any issues in my drop data yet out of my 300AX and 200gr accubonds...could it be Im not shooting far enough yet to have the issues Hornady outlined?

I guess my question was this just the case with the tips Hornady used or is the melting of tips an issue of other manufacturers bullets? I have not noticed any issues in my drop data yet out of my 300AX and 200gr accubonds...could it be Im not shooting far enough yet to have the issues Hornady outlined?
They said that all the manufacturers were using the same polymer so yes it's happening with all of them.

You probably just aren't seeing a problem with your data because you have the correct BC or you've tweaked it by verifying your drops.

These new bullets were designed to give a given BC but the math wasn't meshing with the real world testing which led them to the tip problem.

By the time we get our hands on them they should have very good data we can rely on.

I will definitely giving them a ride next season. Hornady has yet to let me down so I'm pretty excited about seeing how these shoot and more importantly how they perform when the bullet meets the meat... .gun)

They said that all the manufacturers were using the same polymer so yes it's happening with all of them)

I have shot a lot of big game with Nosler BT bullets and have recovered many tips and some of them have been in mint condition even after impact. This leads me to believe Noslers are holding up much better. These recoveries have been out to 600 with a 300WM.
Just a side note, i have never been able to make the amax bullets shoot as well as the BT ones. I have to wonder now if this is why.

I have shot a lot of big game with Nosler BT bullets and have recovered many tips and some of them have been in mint condition even after impact. This leads me to believe Noslers are holding up much better. These recoveries have been out to 600 with a 300WM.
Just a side note, i have never been able to make the amax bullets shoot as well as the BT ones. I have to wonder now if this is why.
At those ranges I don't think you'd be able to see much change. From what I gathered from the articles and promotional stuff the longer it flies the more pronounced the problem is because of the longer heating time.

Keep in mind that as long as it's supersonic it's still getting hotter.

That makes sense. I was just really suprised at how well they held up. The bullet would be completely expanded and fragmented but the tip would be in good shape.
I have shot them out to 1100 at the range but not at animals. I did have to adjust my BC when i did my trajectory validation which supports what you mentioned about deforming further downrange. Terminally they have been the best i have ever used for all around use.

That makes sense. I was just really suprised at how well they held up. The bullet would be completely expanded and fragmented but the tip would be in good shape.
I have shot them out to 1100 at the range but not at animals. I did have to adjust my BC when i did my trajectory validation which supports what you mentioned about deforming further downrange. Terminally they have been the best i have ever used for all around use.
Out to 600 life isn't all that complicated. When I started shooting beyond 600yds I found out just how complicated things could get!

Out to 600 life isn't all that complicated. When I started shooting beyond 600yds I found out just how complicated things could get!

I hear ya. I spend most of my time shooting beyond that. Thats why i dont shoot at the critters that far. Too many variables here in the mountains with cross and swirling winds.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.