Need help: Tips Deforming in Magazine

Coues Sniper

Looking for some help here. I have a 300 RUM, Remington 700 Titanium action, and carbon barrel. Whenever the rifle is fired, the the ballistic tips (currently 208 grain A-Max) of the shells in the magazine get deformed. I've tried factory loads and seating bullets deep with same result. Guy who built it says it's beacuse the gun is so light that the recoil of the rifle vs the iniertia of the bullet causes the shells to get slammed into the front of the magazine. Rifle is braked, and recoil doesn't seem excessive to me. The bad part is: he says he can't fix it. I asked if he stiffened up the magazine spring would that help, and he told me it wouldn't. He says he has built others on Ti actions similar to mine that have actually snapped screws on Leupold scope rings. His only possible solution was to add an HS Precision DMB as this has worked before, but would make no promises. Anyone have any other solutions? Is the HS mag box a good idea? Maybe a better brake? Right now all I can use this rifle for past 100 yards or so is a single shot which isn't what I paid for.

Thanks in advance.

Your problem is common with plastic tiped bullets. I don't think a DM will cure it and it would also add weight that you were trying to save. The choices are few. Single feed or a different bullet. I would just go with a single feed. Even with a bullet that does not have the plastic tip you could easily be changing seating depth too from impact. I have not seen it for a while so they might have curred this problem, but early on I had some tipped bullets break off their tips in the mag box. The good news is, if you shoot well and use a good bullet one should do it.

Jeff

Your problem is common with plastic tiped bullets. I don't think a DM will cure it and it would also add weight that you were trying to save. The choices are few. Single feed or a different bullet. I would just go with a single feed. Even with a bullet that does not have the plastic tip you could easily be changing seating depth too from impact. I have not seen it for a while so they might have curred this problem, but early on I had some tipped bullets break off their tips in the mag box. The good news is, if you shoot well and use a good bullet one should do it.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. Yeah, accuracy has not been the issue and normally I have enough time to empty the magazine and get set-up to shoot single feed. But obviously would rather be able to use the magazine.

I'm with broz on this one.

I've not experienced the problem as all of my LRH rigs are single shot even the Rem 700s using a glued in plate.

I would be especially leery of changing seating depth. That would give me the vapors.:)

I'm with broz on this one.

I've not experienced the problem as all of my LRH rigs are single shot even the Rem 700s using a glued in plate.

I would be especially leery of changing seating depth. That would give me the vapors.:)
Hahaha. I wasn't too excited about seating deeper either. Luckily I was able to get the A-Max's to group well. Wanted the Bergers to work, but no joy. Doesn't matter anyways; still had same issue.

I am with Jeff and Roy, there really is no cure other than maybe a different bullet, Barnes TTSX have a very hard tip that deforms less than most but it still does. How much extra room is there in your mag? Maybe some of those little rubber bumper pads that are sticky on the back would help. .. You can get them in Walmart.

If it is the whole case thats sliding forward than try Mike's idea, if it is just the bullet sliding out of the case then more neck tension is needed.

Never occured to me that neck tension could be the issue. Can't imagine that's the problem considering the amount of different handloads and factory loads I've tried, but I'll make double sure.
Mike, I've been trying to think of a elegant mechanical-type solution that will hold up. I might give something like that a whirl.

Neck tension will only "possible" stop the bullets from being seated deeper with shooting, which I had, and pushing them forward to touch the front of the mag decreased nose crushing by not allowing them to get a head of steam up before contacting the mag.

Neck tension will only "possible" stop the bullets from being seated deeper with shooting, which I had, and pushing them forward to touch the front of the mag decreased nose crushing by not allowing them to get a head of steam up before contacting the mag.
Thanks RTK, I'll try that out as well.

+1 on pushing them further forward in the mag. That way there's less acceleration and speed before the tip hits the front of the mag. The rifle just Pushes on the tips instead of gaining speed and SMAKING them.

As far as seating depth, deeper would kind of go against that, so seating longer might keep the tips closer to the front.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.