Melonite / Nitride services

I've used H&M on two barrels and have no complaints. The key is to get the imperfections in chamber, throat and barrel smoothed out prior to shipping. Some barrels will take more shots than others. Scope every bit of the barrel, just to be sure, any burr or rough spot will haunt you for a long time, after the process is finished. Then, clean it until there's no contaminates left.

Called H&M they said $225 for two barrels and answered my technical questions well and have experience with rifle barrels.
IBC wants $150 for up to 50 lb. but sounded kind of vague on technical info and sounded to me like they rarely handle barrels.
Both barrels have been broken-in.
So far I have thoroughly cleaned with Boretech, JB Bore Paste and kroil, Sweets and are soaking one last time with Boretech.
I'm going to borescope them one last time before I send them off.

Sounds like you've got a good handle on it. It's handy to keep pre-melonite targets to compare to targets after treatment, but I'll bet you've done that too.

Called H&M they said $225 for two barrels and answered my technical questions well and have experience with rifle barrels.
IBC wants $150 for up to 50 lb. but sounded kind of vague on technical info and sounded to me like they rarely handle barrels.
Both barrels have been broken-in.
So far I have thoroughly cleaned with Boretech, JB Bore Paste and kroil, Sweets and are soaking one last time with Boretech.
I'm going to borescope them one last time before I send them off.

do you remember who you talked to at H&M. have two barrels I would like done. they seem to be the ones recommended most from other threads I have read

Yeah, this really IS my first rodeo.:)
this Nitride stuff is new for me.

Have H&M raised their price?

No, several of us sent a total of four barrels, the last time. Saved on shipping. My smith sent the first one and he prolly got a better price.

No, several of us sent a total of four barrels, the last time. Saved on shipping. My smith sent the first one and he prolly got a better price.

Prolly not.......I've been having barrels treated for 5-6 yrs now, never fewer than 2 at a time and usually more, and they never cut prices for FFL holders. The price is what the price is.

Are you going through H&M?

I have used H&M, MMI Tru-Tech and am currently using Controlled Thermal Technologies in Phoenix. Can't get to MMI unless I go through a 3rd party. H&M has a FFL, so they can do receivers besides barrels. CTT doesn't have a FFL, can only do barrels. CTT charges $125 + return shipping (I always include a return shipping label in the package). They average about a 2 week turnaround time. Been happy with CTT, so far. They've done 5-6 'batches' (18-20 barrels) for me. Neither I, or my customers have any complaints.:D With H&M the price was $225-250 whether it was one or two barrels, or 6. I think the most I've sent CTT at one time is 4 or 5, was still $125 + return shipping. Call them to be sure. No matter who you use, include a return shipping label.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.