Melonite barrel treatment

[email protected] is the 'other' contact for MMI. The last few I've sent I didn't do a "break-in" to. Chambered them, fired 2-3 rds. through 'um, examined/measured the fired cases, cleaned 'till spotless, and examined with the Hawk-Eye. If everthing is AOK, which it has been, I send 'um. The 'newer' they are with the fewest rds. through 'um, theory is, the longer they'll shoot (accurately). Don't just talk about it, try it! Just be sure they're spotless, inside and out, before shipping.

There is a big difference between a factory Non-lapped barrel before and after nitride regarding copper.

Savage barrels nearly all shoot quite well. They also foul. Once nitrided there isn't fouling.

Another example: For the past two years I have been working with Benchmark 3 groove 224 barrels at 4800-5200 fps and until I Nitrided all but lathe turned bullets were coming apart. Nitrided stopped most bullets from coming apart.

When I went to a 16 twist barrel plus Nitride I have been able to shoot all bullets and No bullets are coming apart.

I have yet to wear out any Nitrided barrels and I figure the 6.5WSM and the 300RUM are well past 1000 rounds and accuracy is intact. Throat shows some wear but I haven't changed bullet seating at all. I see no need to change the seating depth for a really long time.

Neal

Neal.....have you tried the 3C Benchmark? I am considering one in a 6.5. What is your opinion with Benchmark vs the most highly regarded barrel makers?......Rich

im curious, how many of you who have a melonited barrel have lost velocity after meloniting a barrel? ive heard people say that they lost velocity and some say they increase velocity. Im trying to come up with a scientific reason why they would lose velocity, and the only thing i can come up with would be a rough bore that wasnt fully smoothed out during break in or would there be any other reasons you can think of?

also, does a melonited barrel somehow affect barrel harmonics due to the increased hardness?

im curious, how many of you who have a melonited barrel have lost velocity after meloniting a barrel? ive heard people say that they lost velocity and some say they increase velocity. Im trying to come up with a scientific reason why they would lose velocity, and the only thing i can come up with would be a rough bore that wasnt fully smoothed out during break in or would there be any other reasons you can think of?

also, does a melonited barrel somehow affect barrel harmonics due to the increased hardness?

There are only two possible reasons that I could think of:
One would be that the bore had less friction, therefore the charge would have to be increased to build the same pressure (this did not prove to be true in my barrel) I gained approx. 25' with the same charge. The other would be their chronograph was off:D

9 Barrels and all increased velocity. Most increased 2-300fps depending on length. 17"- 19" handgun barrels averaged 80-120fps velocity increase.

Decrease: I have too many friends using the process and haven't heard of anything but increase. If there is a decrease in velocity I would guess that the barrel was on the large side of max diameter. Add Nitride and there would be an increase.

I have only 3 groove barrels from Benchmark! I have also requested that they hand lap a taper (choke) in the barrel like their world famous rimfire barrels. I have shot pretty much every barrel out there and the only barrel that I have shot, that I think is an equal to Benchmark is ones made By Boots Obermeyer!

They lap their barrels several times in the barrel making nitriding process. In my opinion and from experience their barrels are broke in before they leave the shop. Nitrided before I get there and I can honestly say I have never found a spot of copper in any barrel.

My wifes 6.5WSM on a 19" handgun barrel is shooting ( bugholing)every three shot group using reloader 17 under 100gr partitions @ 3500fps. Before Nitride it was 3380! 12fps spread!

I have also increased powder in some cases up to several grains but with me whereever that upper accuracy node is, is where I stay. It just so happened with the 6.5 I hit the accuracy node with both the 130 Accubond and the 100 Partition the first load out and it was smoking in both cases. Hopefully she will kill a moose this year with the 130 grain.

Neal

do any of these places that nitride clean the barrels before they treat them? i want to do this, but am not sure about how clean i can get it to no nothing, no oils, no anything.

do any of these places that nitride clean the barrels before they treat them? i want to do this, but am not sure about how clean i can get it to no nothing, no oils, no anything.

How worn is your barrel(s)? If well worn with firecracking, it's probably not a great idea.

To clean, I would recommend BTE or Wipeout. You do want all copper removed.

You need to clean it before you send it in. I think you can do a good job if you take the time and use the right technique. You can only melonite with a barrel with few rounds through it or you can do more harm than good.
Get some bore tech eliminator and clean until you get no blue/green color on the patch (make sure you use a brush and rod that don't have copper/brass in them which will give you a false reading. I also use IOSSO bore paste if necessary to scrub the last of the copper out and it also smoothes the bore a little. When I get it perfectly clean, I run a couple of patches with rubbing alcohol and then dry patch. You should be good to go.
p.s. Make sure after all the scrubbing that you get any residue out of the neck and throat area. I usually wrap a patch around a brush and rotate it in the chamber before the final alcohol treatment......Rich

Thanks guys, I have not even shot the gun yet, I just gave it to my smith to chamber, thread and put the peaked on. So sounds like 3-5 shots is best? The cleanning sounds not so tough thanks for telling me your cleaning info elkaholic. I need to read more of the recent stuff, but are you guys still using mmi? What's the wait usuallyon one barrel?

Thanks guys, I have not even shot the gun yet, I just gave it to my smith to chamber, thread and put the peaked on. So sounds like 3-5 shots is best? The cleanning sounds not so tough thanks for telling me your cleaning info elkaholic. I need to read more of the recent stuff, but are you guys still using mmi? What's the wait usuallyon one barrel?
Sent 5 bbls. to MMI about 6 weeks ago. They must be busy!

I really don't think the gain in velocity should be the goal, here. Yes, you do get some, but to me, it's all about longevity,,,, barrel life (the side benefit of easy cleaning is a bonus). And, I could care less about the appearance as I could just CerraCoat it, anyway. I'm not looking for 'custom' bluing, in this instance.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.