Measuring slope angle

Sika Slayer

I am looking at getting a Terrapin as a Rangefinder, My phone has an Applied Ballistics App on it, so you can line the edge of your phone with the target to get the angle into the equation. Is this method good enough or should I be using some other device to get the correct angle of the target to enter into my Ballistic App ?

Does your phone app. have a name? It's difficult to evaluate a product without knowing who markets it. You can test your app. on known slopes and if the results are accurate I'd say you certainly can rely on them in a hunting environment.

I use a iPhone and shooter. I can line the iPhone up and will read the angle as your phone does. If you purchase a Terrapin and one of the "C" (PLRF10C) models it will give you the Equivalent Horizontal Distance. The Lecia 1600B which I use does the same thing and also spits out the degree of slope. The phone angle will work out a ways but for the long range stuff use your range finder. So I think you are covered!

I use an iPod with Shooter as well as a Leica 1600B. Both work as they should. I would have no issue using your Applied program to work up a solution.

What happens when your electronic devices fail? Learn to use cosines and adjust accordingly. Not trying to be harsh but in the field when it counts and electronics fail you will be better off

If my range finder finder and iPod both fail I would probably go home since the bad luck fairy was having a field day. Just because people use the best tools out there doesn't mean they can not use old school tools. It is certainly a good idea to know how to do ranging, wind, and slope estimation with formulas and have drop charts handy for multiple elevations and temperature variations. However, the question was about using iPhone and AB program as a tool. The answer is that it does work well.

I like my gadgets as much as the next guy, but will throw in plus 1 for backups. My GPS is great, but the topo maps are also in the pack, along with my Silva Ranger Compass, which has an inclinometer. If the Leica fails to give me range or angle, the MOA reticle in the scope is the backup for range, and the compass resting on the edge of the rifle stock will give me the angle. Of course, I'll have to do the math in the dirt with a sharp stick...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.