Me, the scope, or the gun

monkiejohnson

Ok, so here's my situation.
Just got to the range today with my new Savage 110 FCP Presicion Lapua. Because of the purchase of the gun, case, bi-pod and ammo I can't get the scope I want till the start of the new year. So, I figured I could borrow a cheap scope of of one of my deer rifles. It is a Simmons 3-9x32 sitting on a set of cheaper Redfield single bolt rings.
I starting sighting in at 100yrds. I had already cleaned the gun out of the box. Old fashioned bore sighted at my house at about 30 ft. First 5 rounds didn't hit paper. Cleaned gun again, re-bore sighted again at 100 yards this time. Next fie rounds, still no paper. Cleaned again and one more bore sight. Thought I saw hit far left but didn't think it could be that far off, maybe my eyes were playing tricks. Next five rounds still no paper. So at this point I'm starting to really get frustrated. I had followed the break in and bore sighted 3-4 different times. Just for poops and giggles I aimed halfway in between two targets to see if I could see "dirt" splash easier. Ended up hitting paper!!!! I was holding about 3-3.5 feet right!
Now that I hit the paper (without moving the gun) I zeroed retical onto bullet hole. Now I was hitting where I wanted at 100yrds. A few more little clicks and I had a 2-3 inch group right in the middle of the paper. So at this point I thought I was zeroed in.
Moved down to 250 yrds, used my shooter app to adjust for MOA, wind coming from my 5:30 at about 5-10. First two rounds rang steel. After that without moving any adjustments I was all over the place! Never hit steel again for another 10-15 rounds.
At this point I am just fed up. So naturally what do I do, go to 500 yrds...lol. Same thing right above and to both sides every time but no ping. Is it me, the scope/rings, the gun?? With this scope on my Rem 700 .243 using a leupold base and different Redfield rings I could consistently hit 100-300 yrds.
Any suggestions, input or anything would be very helpfull!!

Thanks,
David

Not to sound like a smart @$$, but if you take an average guy and put him in the ring with a heavy weight fighter how long do you think he's gonna last?

Same thing with an average scope built for an average recoiling gun and put it on a heavy hitter like 338 lapua (especially when it's got a brake on it), pretty sure your in the market for 2 scopes now.

Honestly Joe, that thought crossed my mind. I was just so itching to shoot it that I was willing to risk damaging that $70 scope I guess. I guess its good to hear that it is not an issue with the gun nor with my skills(maybe).
Tonight, just to see since I knew that it was zeroed at 100yrds after the range, I did another bore sight and this is what I saw....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 103
after bore sighting did you go right to 100 yrds or did you try seeing where you were say @ 25 yards? that most likely could have reduced your initial ammo costs. I always no matter what start @ 25 yards just to make sure that I am hitting paper. As to why its jumping all over the place id be willing to be my bottom dollar that the scope is now a lil damaged.

But it's so much fun to shoot! Hopefully the Vortex Viper PST and AAD Mount rings will handle it a little better.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.