McMillan Stock

Firearrow

Looking at switching out my HS Precision and getting a Game Scout for my 300WM. I know I should have done it when I sent it off for my build, but I didnt. So my question is for the guys that run McMillan stocks are. One, do you guys bed your action. I know they can come with pillars installed, but do they still need to be bedded. Two, I have a #5 contour, and will the barrel channel need to be opened.

Thanks

Wish I could give you a definite answer on the bedding question, but I've had some that were fine without it, and some that needed it. I say shoot it and see what happens, then go from there.

Wish I could give you a definite answer on the bedding question, but I've had some that were fine without it, and some that needed it. I say shoot it and see what happens, then go from there.

x2. According to McM you don't have to bed the stock, but if your accuracy isn't up to your expectations then bedding may be in your future.

I have a McMillan Game Scout on my Custom 338 RUM.

Regarding bedding, I did do a skim-bed job myself, and it came out great. My perspective is that I want the confidence that my rifle is going to achieve it's maximum accuracy potential right from the beginning. But as I did not shoot the rifle ahead of the bedding job, I have no data to prove that the bedding did anything to increase accuracy.

Regarding the contour, McMillan's website says that the Game Scout will accept up to a #5 contour. So if you order a custom drop-in, they will cut the channel to perfectly fit your barrel for a free float. If you are just purchasing a Game Scout that they have ready to ship (non-custom for your rifle), you would have to call and ask them what size barrel contour they cut the channel for.

Thanks for the help. Just got off the phone with one of McMillan's Tech guys. Said the samething. Pillars are good, bedding will be better. And, if I did the custom drop in they can cut it so that my barrel and lug fit.

I put my factory Rem XCR II 338 RUM in an unbedded Game Scout and it shoots great. I will probably bed it when I rebarrel in the future, but for now, it's doing just fine for a factory barrel at 1/2-3/4 MOA. It will require some opening of the channel, but there is plenty of material to work with for a #5.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts