McMIllan Hunter stock question

7RUMER

I am working on 7RUM build and would like to use a #5 Benchmark barrel and a McMillan Hunter stock for a Remington style action. Looking at the specs the stock is supposed to fit up to roughly a .650 barrel and the benchmark is .700 which makes me think it wont fit the stock. With that being said I have seen several posts with a McMillan hunter and a #5 barrel. Have any of you built with this stock and contour combo and if so did it take a lot of channel work? Thanks!

I have Winchester and Ruger McMillan hunter stocks and both had Lilja #5 profile barrels installed with some inletting. There was plenty of room on the sides of the stock to open up the barrel channel.

Heck I have an old Ultralight Ruger stock that was opened up to fit a Rem magnum profile. I convinced McMillan to do it at their facility in PHX. The inletting made the sides thin and actually lowered the sides slightly. It was what I wanted and it works just fine.

You need to look at the part of the stock that fits into the stock, not the muzzle diameter. The tapered part, that fits into the barrel, of a Benchmark #5 is not enough bigger that a Krieger #4 to make any difference. If you have an issue it will probably be the 3" long straight part. You may have to shorten that a little.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts