Mcgowen

devildogg

Hey all I've been a lurker for quite a while on here and recently I put together a rifle for an up coming once in a lifetime elk hunt. I used a savage model 16 that was a 204 and turned it into a 6.5x47 lapua. I used this site and several others for some answers to some of my questions. My biggest decision was my barrel and I decided to go with mcgowen. I had read a lot of mixed reviews on them and wasn't sure what to expect. I called them and they were unreal to work with. I ordered the barrel on a Friday and received it the next Thursday and they recontoured it for me. So now I had all my parts and I put it all together in about an hour it was really easy to do it went together a lot easier than I thought it would have. Here are some pics I'm pretty proud of it the load I settled on was 41.5gr of reloader 17 and 130 gr accubonds.

It shot all the loads I ran throught it except for the first 3 shots (they were all over the place) at or under .5". I just can't believe how accurate it is. I'm really happy with mcgowen service and there barrel.

I am also the proud owner of a savage target action mcgowen 6.5x47 lapua and am very satisfied with the rifle. It will shoot the 140 amaxs under half inch all day. Very easy to work up a load for and cleans easy. Shot a 1" 400 yard group the other day. It is a heavy sucker since i went with the bull barrel for more of a target gun but i carry that rifle for coyotes because I feel SO confident with the rifle that I can hit anything I aim at.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.