McGowen Barrels

Driller54

Have a couple savage actions I plan on putting on new barrels. Planning on hunting weight rifles no more than 10lbs scope,stock & all. Was looking at the McGowen outlet and noticed they have quit a few barrels in stock most being varmint contours. So I'm wondering if this contour would fit my needs or be to heavy. Also wondering what would be good chamber dimensions shooting Berger vlds (coal) utilizing case capacity and so forth for a hunting rifle one chambered in 7rm & the other 243win? Guess basically what I'm sayin is I've never ordered a barrel therefore don't know what I need.

I have three McGowan barrels and can say for sure two of them are shooters(cant say about the third yet as I have not done any load development yet with it) I have one in a 6br that shoots 105 bergers to 1/3 moa. Also have a 22-250 7 twist that shoots the 90g bergers <1/2 moa. The other is a 6.5x47 that I have just did the barrel break in on it.
Anyway enough about mine. I think if you went with a 26" you could keep it under 10lbs. I think if you go to McGowans web site they have a barrel weight guide. Good luck with your purchase.

Roger that! Guess I should really just quit stalling and do the thing. If I don't like it take it off get another. And recommendation on action work or just plain and simple take old barrel off put new barrel on (proper headspacing etc.)?

It's pretty simple screw off and screw on. I would recommend to go ahead and put a better recoil lug on while you have it apart. I'm pretty sure they have them at the same place you get the barrel from.

Don't you need to lap the lugs in a Savage action?

I've only built Remmys and Brownings.

Let me tell you about the McGowan barrel on my 7 saum.
First two shots are right on target, Next 3 or 6 or 10 are one MOA right and 2 MOA up. 2 groups.
I think it's a heat thing as the barrel is free floated in a laminated stock.
The upside is the cold bore shot is reliable.

I have had six McGowan barrels from 224 to 338 all shooters. Savage bolts float so no need to lap them that I have found

I built a .280AI last summer, McGowen #4 contour stainless fluted on a Remington 700. It will shoot 1/2 MOA all day long to 500yards with 140 Accubonds and 168 Custom Competition bullets. Waiting on another barrel from them for the next project.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts