Mcgowen 6mm Ackley

mtwood24

Just ordered my barrel today, they said it would be 12 weeks till ready to ship. I got the savage varmint contour, bead blasted stainless steel, 29 inch barrel with 1-8 twist and recessed target crown. plan on using it for long range/coyotes/deer. should I make any changes before it is too late? It's going on a savage model 110 action.

Just ordered my barrel today, they said it would be 12 weeks till ready to ship. I got the savage varmint contour, bead blasted stainless steel, 29 inch barrel with 1-8 twist and recessed target crown. plan on using it for long range/coyotes/deer. should I make any changes before it is too late? It's going on a savage model 110 action.

a 6mmAI really dosn't need anything longer than 26", and the longer barrel length will contribute to harmonics. I shot one for several seasons with a 24" heavy barrel, and saw little velocity drop. I'd have it throated for something like the 105 grain AMAX bullet.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.