Max range of a 22mag on a hog?

joshua99ta

Im just wondering what you guys think would be my max effective range of a headshot on a hog? I was thinking 75yards if I can get it in the ear. maybe 100? Its gunna be hard to get it within 100 yards and be able to get a good steady rest for anything much over 50 to gaurauntee an ear hole shot

I'll be doing a spot and stalk hunt on a public land wma and I can't have anything larger than a 22 mag is the reasoning behind this.

Im just wondering what you guys think would be my max effective range of a headshot on a hog? I was thinking 75yards if I can get it in the ear. maybe 100? Its gunna be hard to get it within 100 yards and be able to get a good steady rest for anything much over 50 to gaurauntee an ear hole shot

I'll be doing a spot and stalk hunt on a public land wma and I can't have anything larger than a 22 mag is the reasoning behind this.

The eye or the ear is the proper shot for the 22 WRM and distance is in the hands of the
shooter. 100 yards wiuld be my guess as to how far.

The longest shot I have made with my 17 HMR was 85 yards in the eye, and it was a show.

J E CUSTOM

I'd have to say the max range is simply the furthest distance you can land the little bullet in the ear hole.
If a steady rest is the issue, get yourself a pair of shooting sticks (I prefer Stoney Point) to take along on the hunt. If you get the medium or high model, you can just use it as a walking stick until you're ready to take a shot. I've been doing it for coyotes, deer, gophers, etc. since I was 15.

Good hunting.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

25 yards to make sure you hit right behind he rar or between the. Some states don't allow FMJs for hunting purposes.

roger thatg guys. I didnt end up with any pigs on the last hunt. DId see the first hog... which is abnormal for the area.

I was worried that @ 100 yards a little 40 grn fmj wouldnt have enough umph behind it to enter even at the ear. But I didnt get a chance to find out

Don't worry, it'll punch through far enough at that range. I've killed many pigs with a .22LR. Just make sure it hits the brain, and it doesn't take much.

I would say "hog tie" the hog first, then shoot from 1 ft. I've been almost runover and heard teeth gnashing from a poorly placed shot with something alot bigger than a .22 mag. Chas

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.