A Hog Rifle?

I have never had one do far after being shot with my 6.5 x .284. I am using 140 gr Sciroccos over RE22. Huge exit hole out to 400yds. NEVER had a problem knocking one on its butt. If shooting for meat take the smaller ones. They taste sooo much better. Really big ones around here aren't worth eating!

45/70 for short-range work and Springfield Armory SOCOM 2 for night hunts or stalks.

Shot placement is key - and a huge bullet sure helps. Hit brain, spine, heart or BOTH LUNGS, or the hog will live.

For longer range shots, I like a very accurate 300WM.

Bow hunting hogs is also fun.

be advised: hogs do not go quietly, and they get really upset is wounded, especially if their young un's are around.

shot placement is the most important aspect in hog hunting. here in south Ga we are over run with em. ive taken them with everything from a 17hmr to a 300 win mag. if you can put the bullet in the ear, they will drop. the 17 is good as long as you stay under 150yds or so. the 204 will drop em out to 300 as long as you can hit the ear or right behind it.

I love shooting pigs and have done it for many years. Grew up on a twenty thousand acre ranch in north central Texas and had and still do have plenty of oprotunity to kill them at will almost. I have killed them with guns ranging from every thing to .22 long rifle (think I could have killed a Rhino with that gun when I was young) 22 hornets to 222's and 220 swifts to a 25-06 to my favorite my 7mm STW. When I walk the brush creeks looking for them I use my Rem 700 in 25-06 because I'm pretty fair at hitting two or three of them befor they disapear in the brush. It does have enough wallop to put a large pig down when you and he are sharing the same cow trail in the dense briars plus in situations like that I had rather have a gun that I am extreamly comfortable with and can just semingly pull up to my shoulder and shoot it like that old .22 long rifle I used to think was my twin. My most favorite way to shoot them though is with my STW at distances exeeding 400 yards on out to about 800 yards. I shoot for the biggest one in the group first and if I can put him down with a high shoulder shot or a shot in the head the others will just kinda stand around till another one or two of them fall. Even then sometimes they will run a short ways and stop and seemingly listen to see where or which direction the danger is coming from. Sometimes the hole group will run the wrong way (for them)which is right tward you. That gets pretty exciting trying to put more rounds in the magazin and dial the scope back down. To me nothing beats that first cold bore shot at that big one and to see him creater out there at 600 yards except for stalking up on them with a bow. I really like that too. Whom I kidding I just like killing them for the most part. Wow, what a lot of fun!

I have shot hogs with many different calibers but I like my trusty old 760 carbine with open sights in 30-06. This gives fast follow up shots. I use 150gr. Rem Core Loks. I bought a 44mag lever gun several years ago and I really enjoy taking hogs with it. I shoot a 240 gr. JSP and keep the shots within 100yds. I have used HP's but find I like the JSP's better for penetration. Bullet placement is the key regardless of what you are shooting.
For long range hogs I like my 7mag because it has good glass.

With a bow, I shoot 100gr broadheads. I use fixed as well as mechanicals. I have not had to track a hog very far when shot with a bow and hit in the kill zone. The cutting diameter of the BH is important, the bigger the better. With todays bows, the KE needed is there unless you are shooting really light draw weight. I shoot 65-70lb Draw weight and have a 29" DL. I usually get pass thru's on hogs but if I don't it is usually not a problem. When they run that arrow is inside cutting away.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts