max range 6.5 284

I have to agree with sp6x6 on this one, we don't have elk Downunder but we have some Big red stags and sambar and my 65 284 always stays at home when i'm chasing them,but......... it is great for the smaller deer species!

If I was intentionally setting out to hunt Elk at 900+ yds, I think I'd take a 300WM or larger just to have a little extra fudge factor.

I suspect most of the wounded Elk videos end up on the cutting room floor.

That said, it's a great long range hunting cartridge.

-- richard

I will refer back to a thread I submitted last fall "long range elk mistake". I have a 6.5 Sherman which easily out performs the 6.5/284. I am a big proponent of the 6.5 cartridge and always will be for that matter. The problem with trying to kill elk with ANY 6.5 at 1000 yards is twofold. Trying to get a bullet to expand at that velocity is not at all consistent (regardless of advertised). Also, the frontal diameter of the bullet which isn't much to begin with, coupled with fairly low energy, does not make for a consistent elk killer. Yes it will kill elk, and you may get three or four good kills before one runs off, but are those the odds we want? Hitting the animal is not a problem and neither is penetration, but an elk is a tough animal. I have killed over 30 bulls and from now on, I will take my 30 with bullets that expand at that distance. IMO....Rich

I will refer back to a thread I submitted last fall "long range elk mistake". I have a 6.5 Sherman which easily out performs the 6.5/284. I am a big proponent of the 6.5 cartridge and always will be for that matter. The problem with trying to kill elk with ANY 6.5 at 1000 yards is twofold. Trying to get a bullet to expand at that velocity is not at all consistent (regardless of advertised). Also, the frontal diameter of the bullet which isn't much to begin with, coupled with fairly low energy, does not make for a consistent elk killer. Yes it will kill elk, and you may get three or four good kills before one runs off, but are those the odds we want? Hitting the animal is not a problem and neither is penetration, but an elk is a tough animal. I have killed over 30 bulls and from now on, I will take my 30 with bullets that expand at that distance. IMO....Rich

clapping.gif

I agree, if you have the option to go bigger, do it. You can't kill them too dead. I love the 6.5 bullets, but if you have more horse power, use it.

I agree, if you have the option to go bigger, do it. You can't kill them too dead. I love the 6.5 bullets, but if you have more horse power, use it.

Ya, I kind of learned that the hard way, after a lot of good kills, I kept extending the range until my luck ran out......Rich

I"m a a very dedicated 6.5x 284 shooter and feel that I am proficient at long range. I choose to select one of my larger caliber rifles for elk because I have have them and prefer the improved margin of error and ability to take a shot with a less then perfect angle, should that be my only option on a good elk or comparably sized animal. If all I had was my 6.5x284, I'd use it on elk but keep my shots under 700 yards, pick my shots carefully, and feel confident. I'm probaly odd man out on this one but that's my viewpoint.

I have a 6.5-.284 and like it, but my 300 Win is the one I take for elk.
(28 elk, 21 bulls)
8 out of 10 (roughly) drop nicely but once in a while one will astound you with their will to live.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts