APS 6.5/284 pics and range report

zingdingo

Just wanted to post some pics and a range report of the long range groundhog gun Kirby built for me.

399457.JPG

399458.JPG

399459.JPG

Specs:

6.5/284 Win.
Rem. 700 short action with single shot follower glued in
27" Lilja barrel, #8 contour
Holland recoil lug
Holland QD brake
Kirby tuned Rem. trigger
Burris one piece base
Burris Signature rings with +- .010 inserts
Leupold 6.5-20x40 VX-III, with turrets freshly installed by custom shop
Choate Ultimate Varmint stock

I took the obligatory picture of the barrel engraving, but the lighting wasn't great and it didn't turn out very nice (I'm not much of a photographer).

Overall Kirby was great to deal with and his work is fantastic, although I will admit that I don't have that much to compare it to, this being my first custom and all.

I'm not a huge fan of the look and feel of the Choate stock, but it does shoot pretty nicely and more importantly, I already have it, so it will probably stick around at least for now.

It has taken a while to get load development started, due to a hectic school schedule and the poor decision of waiting until after the rifle arrived to send my scope to Leupold and order a chronograph (CED Millenium, my new best friend). Since everything has come together, I have tried a number of components and am currently enjoying 140 gr. A-Max's over 52.9 grains of H4831sc, which gives an average velocity of 2909 fps and a SD of around 10 fps. I may try additional components in the future for fun, but this load isn't currently providing much impetus to. Here is a 3 shot 100 yard group, from the preliminary load work up. I haven't done enough testing to prove it will average that tight, but I have shot multiple groups in the .2's, which is great considering my shooting and precision loading abilities aren't exactly world class.

399461.JPG

Here is one set up on the bipod for JB's postal match. Note the paint stirrer shims required to get a good grip with the bipod due to the height of the accessory rail.

399460.JPG

This weekend is slated for constructing a sturdy yet vehicle portable shooting bench, and if time allows and my next batch of bullets shows up, shooting at 500+ yards to get some groups at range and verify my drop chart (and also turkey hunting will occur in there some time).

If everything goes well then it will be time to go after that 1k hog!

Thanks Kirby!

Carl

I would have to agree with you on the Choate stock, but sometimes functionality trumps fashion. Keep us updated on the LR debut. It sure does shoot well!

She looks nice. I had the same stock on my 270AM for a while and I felt the same as you about it. It did work great but they just arent that pleasing to look at. I traded it in for a laminate stock and know the rifle is quite a bit heavier, but it looks a little nicer.

.2 groups are **** impressive, sounds like you know what you are doing.

Keep us posted on her preformance.

good luck
steve

Hey that country looks familar? Good shootin rig you have there Carl. If your looking for a spotter when the semester is done, drop me line.

Burns

Looks like another jewel from APS!! I would guess that you'll be pleasantly suprised when you put it on paper @ extended ranges.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Will hopefully have some long range work complete in a little while, although not as soon as I would like, as I found out I have to stay at school this coming weekend.

Lerch,

What laminate stock did you end up going with? I don't think I've seen any pics of the 270 since you switched to it, how about an updated shot if you get the chance.

Thanks,
Carl

Burns,

Yea, thats pretty much my backyard, I ranged the table at 68 yards from my house. I just may take you up on the spotting offer, good spotters are hard to come by.

Carl

I used the savage factory 12bvss stock

here is a pic, mine is in the middle
Picture001.jpg

looks nice but sure is heavy now

take it easy
steve

ZD -- just saw this...cool pic over the pond! And you can just make out the target fram in the distance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can i use that pic on the site? It will reside in the member photos section, and be added to the ones that scroll thru on the homepage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Good luck...that Smiley will be in trouble /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif !!

Thanks,
Jason

Lerch,

Thats a nice lineup. I don't have a lot of plans to carry my rifle too far from the truck, so heavy is fine for me. I will definately consider a laminate in the future, but right now I'm working on saving for going away to school this fall.

Carl

JB,

Certainly, feel free to use the pic. However, I shrunk it way down for posting. If you would like a larger/higher resolution version I can email one to you.

Carl

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.