200 gr. Wildcat APS Handgun Report

sscoyote

Finally got to go out to the range today with the APS 7-270 WSM XP-100 handgun/16" Pac-Nor 7 twist/Holland QD muzzle break. The rig has the 36X Tuckerized Leupold BR that's been converted to long eye relief and sits on top of the whole rig in Elmer Laitala's SLRM-- long-range mount. It really is something to see. This rig is gonna see some use for a 1 mile pr. dog shoot this week or next. Had 2 lbs. of Win. 760, so decided to try it as i've heard some good reports with it of late out of the larger cases. 54 gr. (GM215M primer) gave stiff bolt lift, shiny ejector mark, and slightly cratered primer 15 thou short of lands. 52 gr., same seating depth gave the best performance 2448 fps 8 ft. from muzzle, ES of 11 fps. and .6" for 1-5 shot gp. Gonna check out as far as possible with a tall target to see what the approximate BC is, and then it's onto the 1 mile pr. dog, probably same session. The 20X conversion is not too bad to use with the critical eye relief and all, actually fairly easy from the bench-- 38 minutes of windage and elevation. Fortunately the windage is almost dead center, which gives me +/- 19 minutes either side. FOV itself is only 20-22 MOA, plex reticle subtends only .75 MOA x-hair to post tip, so won't work for any windage reference. I think i'm gonna send it back to Wally Siebert to install TK Lee's windage dots @ 4, and 8 MOA, or maybe 3 each side @ 3,6, and 9 MOA better yet. Amazing to think that with an approximate BC of .85 at the lower velocity, this bullet will hit 1000 yds. @ 1690 fps/1270 energy-- incredible-- if only Bob Milek were around today to see the monster he helped create.

Sewwhat-- i'll work on that the next couple days. Just have to get my scanner operational, and wipe the dust off it.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.