Max hunting range of 30-06?

jski

Let's first stipulate you're hunting elk. And let us further stipulate that you're hand loading your rounds for max performance, bullets, powder, primers, cases, the whole 9 yards.

How far can you push the 30-06 for the aforementioned elk ?

That seems mighty specific! 683?
Care to elaborate?
Well, first I thought, "what would I load to try to maximize the effectiveness of the .30-06?". From there I decided that the Nosler Accubond LR 190gr would probably be a good bullet. I then threw a hotter handload from the Nosler manual into the JBM ballistics calculator. Then I enter the elevation I routinely hunt at, and see where it drops below the the generally accepted 1500ft/lb "required" to cleanly harvest elk. According to the calculator that happens somewhere between 650 and 700 yards. I just spitballed the 683.

Last edited:
I started hunting with a 30-06 in the 70's and later thought it wasn't cool enough , I still have 2. I hunt with all other calibers but in the real world the 30-06 is all most of us really need . But don't tell my wife that . In experienced hands a 30-06 is dangerous a long way , just saying

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts