Match bullets for long range big game hunting

deerhorn

I bought and read the Nathan Foster series of hunting and shooting books and I really enjoyed them.He has killed a lot of game with match bullets. He is very knowledgeable and learned alot.What are you guys thoughts on the use of match bullets for hunting thanks for any reply.

For big game my preference is a hunting bullet. I am using the Sierra SMK in 22-250 for coyotes and they serve the purpose. I have first hand reports of match bullets shot from full custom rifles on big game being very effective, but for the average hunting rifle the hunting bullets usually are most effective.

Hey mate where I'm from it's split 50/50 for those that are using match/hunting bullets.

those that are using match bullets are nearly always going heavy for caliber in order to ensure penetration. I'm personally using 195 TMKs in my 308. I've now shot 10 animals with them. In all honesty I have lost one animal a Sambar (elk sized), when out of desperation I took an utterly stupid shot (Texas heart shot) at 100yd, if I had an AccuBond I may have collected that animal.

the majority of been DRT and only one has run and made it 25yd. This was my main reason for shifting to match rounds as I hate when LR shooting watching em run and they spending the next hour having doubts about my shot. At least with match bullets they dump energy fast and anchor them on the spot.

Nathan knows his stuff, I also have his books and they have been very helpfu.l

Answer to your questios is: Yes, they do work when used under certain conditions.

Examples:
The Hornady AMax/ELD-M bullets are awesome killers at long range, but at close range at magnum speeds they'll fragment on impact and fail to penetrate. Some non bonded hunting bullets also have this problem when using bullets on the lighter side and at magnum speeds, in this case heavier for caliber bullets work best.

On some Berger bullets you need to unclog the hollow point in order to ensure expansion or they can fail to expand and pencil through. I just got some Ammo with the 168 Berger Hybrid Hunter and many of the hollow points are clogged so I'll need to clear those up before sending them down tange.

Hope this helps

You are in the minority! Did you ever figure out that the "pointy" end.......does not go into the case! :eek: memtb
In your mind I'm in the minority but around here in real elk country they are the least shot bullet over the last 10 years, why do you think everyone was so quick to move to ANY other bullets when Bergers started getting used, they were all I shot for a lot of years. I probably should have tried backwards they may have tumbled and been more lethal!!
I do use them for smaller game still because they are always in stock since no one buys them!!

Last edited:
I just got a box of the 140gr Nosler RDF to play with and they look almost exactly like my Berger Extreme Hunter in 140 and 156. Haven't taken any shots with them yet but I'm guessing you can make a long range / match bullet hit hard.

In your mind I'm in the minority but around here in real elk country they are the least shot bullet over the last 10 years, why do you think everyone was so quick to move to ANY other bullets when Bergers started getting used, they were all I shot for a lot of years. I probably should have tried backwards they may have tumbled and been more lethal!!
I do use them for smaller game still because they are always in stock since no one buys them!!
Christ
Here we go
tenor.gif

Shot an antelope at 70 yards and a muley buck at 475 yards last year with a 108gr ELD-M from a 6 creedmoor. Antelope was pass thru with massive damage. Muley was high shoulder and dropped in his tracks, jacket stuck in offside hide.

here's a pic of the 475yd eld m
5B2A0030-2518-422D-A770-E9833F5037C4.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.