Marlin 1895 trapper in 45/70

dfitz7604

Hello all,

I am seeking information preferably first hand information on a marlin 1895 trapper in 45/70. Rifle has a 16" barrel. I may eventually put a red dot of low power scope on it. This is going to be a back up carry guy in the woods. My children are becoming hunting ages and are interested. I want to have a back up rifle that I can carry while moving through the woods, in the truck, and tracking game. I will run a suppressor on it most of the time is why I want the shorter barrel.

Does anyone have any experience with these rifles. I'm looking for the goods and bads. Thank you in advance.
Daniel

No firsthand information on that one but the new ruger-made marlins are very nice. What is it back up for? Is it just to have a second rifle available for your children should there be an issue with theirs, or are you "backing them up" in using it to defend against bears and whatnot? If the latter, where do you live and plan to hunt? If it's a back up rifle for your kids, a 45-70 may not be the best choice. Not sure a suppressor helps your intended use. It will definitely add weight and make it more cumbersome to carry, so if you don't intend to shoot it unless something goes wrong, I don't know if I'd bother. It may be counterproductive if you're carrying it to defend against animals.

No firsthand information on that one but the new ruger-made marlins are very nice. What is it back up for? Is it just to have a second rifle available for your children should there be an issue with theirs, or are you "backing them up" in using it to defend against bears and whatnot? If the latter, where do you live and plan to hunt? If it's a back up rifle for your kids, a 45-70 may not be the best choice. Not sure a suppressor helps your intended use. It will definitely add weight and make it more cumbersome to carry, so if you don't intend to shoot it unless something goes wrong, I don't know if I'd bother. It may be counterproductive if you're carrying it to defend against animals.
Good points about the suppressor. I will be the one carrying it and using it. They will be using a 6.5x47 Lapua or my AR until they are old enough to have their own rifles. I live in south central Texas. Not extremely worried about predators, just want a rifle to be confident with taking an off hand shot in thick brush if I have a wounded animal. I do intend to take them out of state when they are teenagers for elk and other prairie game. So I would like to have it then too.

I just got one. I have not shot it yet. I am going to put a 1.5-5 Leupold on it. I am trying to figure what to use for mounting now. I am leaning towards a Skinner Express sight with scope mounts and Talley quick release rings

I just got one. I have not shot it yet. I am going to put a 1.5-5 Leupold on it. I am trying to figure what to use for mounting now. I am leaning towards a Skinner Express sight with scope mounts and Talley quick release rings
How does the action and trigger feel?

I haven't even begun to think about mounting options yet.

One thing about putting a suppressor on the rifle ....impact will change with it on....so you either use it or don't .....

I have the same gun with a suppressor its like having a 22" barrel installed....

I have one that I've used for a few years now, mainly to hunt Texas hogs. Surprisingly accurate with Hornady factory ammo. Mine has a trigger tune and a few other items and is threaded, but I don't use a suppressor. I have a Leupold 1-4 Firedot on it which is perfect for my use. Mine is a Remington manufactured version and I've been very happy with it.

Love mine. It's my tree stand bear gun. It has a Nightforce NXS 1-4. I run a Thunderbeast Fly45 on it. Recoil is very stiff. Majority of shots are 35-80 yards. Black bears just roll around and die within 20 seconds.

Thank you all who have replied. I'm liking what I'm hearing.
Are there any modifications that y'all have done that you like or would not do again?

-Daniel

Mine has a lighter trigger, hammer extension, lightened load gate, saddle ring, leather ammo cuff IMG_0407.jpeg and the forearm was replaced with a slotted style.

Love mine, it'd getting an rmr on a direct mount. Action is slick, didn't buy it for any specific reason. It's been a fun rifle, ruger did a good job on them.

I have the 22" rifle version.
One of the last Remlins.
Fit, finish and accuracy is top notch.

I added a Skinner Alaskan peep sight and a Montana sling.
Recoil energy is roughly similar to shooting a 12 gauge slug.

Last edited: