Twin customs on Model 70's in 6.5

CouesHunter

Twin customs on Model 70\'s in 6.5

Gentlemen:

I've been running searches and reading threads for two days, with the predictable result that I'm more confused now than I was when I started.

A buddy of mine and I recently discovered that we had two pre-'64 Model 70's laying around, and we've decided to put together two custom rifles in some flavor of 6.5MM.

He's leaning strongly toward the 6.5 WSM, but I have my doubts; my rifle is currently a Featherwieght in .30-06, and I don't want to build some great huge long-barreled monster of a rifle; hunting the canyon country in Arizona means carrying a lot and shooting a little, and I'd rather build a stalking-type rifle with a 22-24" medium tube and limit my shots to 400 yards or so (and then only if the canyon is that wide).

So my question is this:

Of all the 6.5's out there, which one will best suit a more-or-less conventional envelope without an excessive barrel length?

I suppose that 140's in some flavor will be my bullet of choice, by the way.

Thanks

CouesHunter

Re: Twin customs on Model 70\'s in 6.5

6.5-06 or 6.5-06imp with an 8 twist tube.

That's easy.. .260AI or straight up.. Check the ballistics.. What's not to like.? d:^) JiNC

Ok now we're talking a distance and a calibre I can dig.

I have shot our little roe deer out to 300yds with slow (2,900fps) 100gr BT from a sporter weight 6.5x55. You get an excellent choice of brass and a very pleasant shooter. It is however necessary to have the bolt face opened a very few thou to take account of the minutely larger rim.

IMHO 140s are not necessary on deer - the 129gr interbond would be fantastic and even I manage 2,900fps from the 125gr partition with H4350. This does not give a lot away to the 140 in terms of BC but is a lot faster and flatter.

The 6.5-06 I don't have experience of. It looks excellent but can you balance a 140 seated to the base of the neck and still feed from the mag in your action? Also if you're not going to use match bullets you can get the same results from a 270 with a lot less hassle.

Given the actions you have I would go with the 6.5-06 or the 6.5-284 with a 24 " barrel. I have built several of these and the make a great flat shooting rifle for just about anything.

agree with jake the .260AI , 6.5/284

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.