Marlim or Winchester?

You can order ballyhoo out of finest kind or if you want to try, I can, but the end of the summer have a selection of bait to try and mail it to you. If you want to do that, I can catch you some pogies/mehaden/shad (6-8" but look sort of like a silver pan fish) which produce the worst stink you can imagine. When you catch a couple hundred in a cast net and bring them over the back of the boat, it will just about gag you; and they are alive then. But they have not come up the coast yet. If you want, I can get some ballyhoo cheaper than ordering them anywhere and mail them to you. If you give me a couple more weeks, when I get back down to the beach, I will save some left-over ones, they will stink more. Ballyhoo smells fishy, I would never eat one, but they are not the strongest thing I have smelled. Yeah, your right, hiding that 10/0 hook in that smelt would be hard; a general rule of thumb that you can use with circle hooks is match the gap with ur regular J-hook. Yeah, at first it seems like it is too small, but you would be suprised. I believe that you would be alright with a 5/0 or 6/0 owner circle hook which can be had for $5/6 for the 6/0 or $5/7 for the 5/0. It may be a week or two before I get down to the beach to put my hands on some bait, but as soon as I get hold of some, I will send you some pictures of what I am talking about.

I would be interested in trying something new for bait. We normaly bring a dozen smelt per person but again it is mostly because they get beat up in the cast. If I could get a dozen Ballyhoo or those stinky shad I'd give them a whirl. I might also contact you about those circle hooks. There aren't any shops around here carrying that kind of hook in that size. But that wont be for a while since I just got 50 of those Mustad hooks. $14.00/100. I split them with the friend that got me into sturgeon fishing.

When you get those pictures or some bait fish send me a note at [email protected] It should be interesting to see.

Thanks

Hi guys,
As this has now turned into a fishing forum i thought i would add my two pence worth. Although we do have a few sturgeon in the UK they are all small and have been introduced into some private stillwaters.I on the otherhand am passionately involved in pike fishing, of which static dead baiting ( smelt is one of pikes favourites ) and tethered livebaits, usually roach, rudd or perch, are the most popular methods of catching these beautifull fish.

The former two methods have accounted for approx. a third of the 216 pike i have caught in the last 3 years, the rest fell to cranks and jerkbaits, with a few falling to the fly which i took up recently. All these lure fishing methods are thanks to you guys over in the US, we now use short stiff baitcasting rods, heavy braided lines, solid traces and big jerk and crankbaits, the only thing we do different to you is that we use left hand wind multipliers, something i can never understand why you guys have'nt taken it up. Makes life a lot easier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian.

to you is that we use left hand wind multipliers, something i can never understand why you guys have'nt taken it up. Makes life a lot easier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian.

[/ QUOTE ] I have been using a lefty multipilier put out by a little known company called HARDY for the pass 20 years for salmon. For pike I have found a .357mag in the shallows works vary well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey 4ked,
A multiplier is what you guys call a baitcasting reel such as made by Shimano. Nearly all the baitcasting reels i see for sale in the USA are right-hand wind, it troubles me to think (presuming we are right handed) of casting with the right arm and then transfering to the left in order to reel in your lures,when it is much more natural to wind with the left hand, the same you would do with a fixed spool spinning reel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ian.

3six,
You have the right idea and if we are thinking of the same "Hardy" you will have a very nice reel indeed, infact a bit of a collectors item.
Hardy are the premier manufacturer of game fishing tackle here in England, you could even call them the "Purdy" of the fishing tackle industry, with some of their fly rods costing $1600 and reels $1200. Amongst the traditional fly fishermen they have massive snob value and any thing else "just will not do".

Ian.

These reels are not really baitcasting. The penn 330GTI is more of a lightweight trolling reel. Usually and hopefully there is a lot more reeling done that casting. Most of the fish caught on this conventional tackle need all the power you can get to reel. A right-handed person finds it a lot easier to reel with their strong hand and lift with their weak hand. The exception of course is spinning and fly fishing, why, I do not know, but I have seen a left handed person struggle with a right handed reel on large fish. Just like big reels ie Penn International, Shimano Tiagra, and Fin-nor Ahabs, you see 2-speed models. The higher gear ratio is to put line on the reel when the fish is running toward you. The low gear ration is to add extra horsepower when trying to crank a fish up. But if you look at those big reels, they are like winched, and I would rather crank the winch with my strong hand anyday of the week. I cannot answer your question why our baitcasters are like they are. I guess it does not matter that you have to switch hands because when they backlash, you have get the thing out and that takes sometime. But that is a very good question. I do not fish with them, only the big ones that are not built for casting. Otherwise I use the penn spinning reels.

Christopher,

I didn't make it out to Cape Lookout this year, but I did make it to Oregan Inlett the week after they run north however we came back to Mann's Harbor and cought several between 18-30 inches.

I have started using left hand retrieve reels bass fishing and once you get used to it it is more comfortable.

I would like to go Spanish fishing in a couple of weeks but I'm having trouble talking the guy I work with (that has the boat) to go. May have to charter.

[ QUOTE ]
Nearly all the baitcasting reels i see for sale in the USA are right-hand wind, it troubles me to think (presuming we are right handed) of casting with the right arm and then transfering to the left in order to reel in your lures,when it is much more natural to wind with the left hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that is one more sign that God loves me and wants me to be happy. I was in a wreck years ago and damaged my left arm which may seem bad since I was a lefty. But since my strong arm is my right I bought a Penn 321GTi which is a left hand, level wind reel. Soooo... I cast right handed and reel with my left. Tahdahh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It seems I am set up right and didn't even know it. What do ya think of them apples? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bryan D, I sent you an email about the possibility of going fishing. I will say that the only spanish fishing I do anymore is for bait, but if you have the spoons, I will be glad to go. Otherwise we will have to visit the Big Rock.

I understand where you guys are coming from. Most time we use harnesses because the tackle is so large. In this case the body is holding the tackle and the arm is cranking the fish. But we very rarely cast a rod. It does make sense when you are casting that the reel handle be on the same side as the off hand. We just pick the rod up out of the holder and the battle is on, hopefully.

4ked Horn, do those sturgeon not run hard and fast? I have actually seen a king mackeral smoke the line guide on a 320 GTi.

Hi guys,
Christopher, The boat fisherman that fish round the coast of Britain use the same techniques that you describe, but rarely harness up unless they are after Halibut or Tuna a large one of which(1800lbs) was caught of the south east coast of Ireland last year.

Bryan and 4ked, The majority of freshwater fishing in Britain is for non-predatory coarse fish such as carp, roach, bream and a dozen or so other species.
These are pursued with 13ft rods, light lines and fixed spool reels, with terminal tackle being very light indeed.( 1 1/2lb to 2lb bottoms with size 16 to 20 hooks). So as a youngster entering the sport (again presuming they are right handed) we were automatically conditioned to wind with our left hand (pity the left hander, trying to find a right hand reel 30 years ago).

Spinning for predatory fish is an age old technique but when American style Jerkbait fishing arrived on our shores some 15 years ago the early protaginists found it quite alien to wind with right hand when using a baitcasting reel.
Manufacturers were approached and left hand reels were sourced, which is where we are today.

4ked, you are obviously blessed with somekind of sub-concious forethought regarding your reel selection and Bryan, dont you find it so much more comfortable doing it this way.
Hopefully someone can swing this thread back on course and meld the fishing back onto shooting.

As we say in England to fellow anglers "TIGHT LINES GUYS".

Ian.

Hopefully someone can swing this thread back on course and meld the fishing back onto shooting.

Ian.

[/ QUOTE ] Well I tried with the mention of shooting pike with a .357mag. No one took the bait. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.