Mark 4 4.5x14

I agree with all that 100%. We're on the same page.
So I Shold be fine with my 338 Rum out 750 800..
Yes, if you have good verified data and are using a high BC bullet you should do fine to that range--keeping in mind that if anything changes you may need a new knob or use corrections. You can get a good feel for what temp and altitude changes, etc, will do using JBM.

For example, I have a sticker taped to my 300's scope right now that tells me the temp and altitude the data is for and that 18 degrees or 1000 ft pressure/elevation change each will require 1 click correction at 1000 yds. At 900 yds the correction is about 1/2 that. At 800 yds I would have to travel in time to mid August or be teleported to a different location before I need to worry....

Something that will help the success of anybody not using a PDA, whether the drop chart is on the stock or the turret, is to try and verify/set your elevation zero on location at the farthest distance possible. When you get there, put up a target at 800 yds if you can, and if it's off at all set the turret to say 800 yds. Or if using a drop chart, set the turret to what your chart says you should dial for 800 yds.

If you do this your data has to be WAY off (which it shouldn't be) before it'll cause you problems at closer distances. Even if it was and you ended up 1/4 MOA off at 400 and 1/2 MOA off at 100, who cares? Being on at the longer distances is what matters--1/2 MOA at 800 will cause problems, 1/2 MOA at 100 not so much.

Even a 3, 5 or 600 yd check will eliminate errors better than going off a 100 yd zero alone. Don't worry about the windage when you do this, if you know it was on at 100 it's more likely you miscalled the wind at distance so don't mess with the scope.

Good luck. Oh, PDA. ;)

Ultramag45,

I have the Mark 4 4.5x14LR with factory custom shop added M1 dials on a M700 LSS 338 RUM.
700LSS338RUM.jpg

Works great! My rifle fell out of my tree stand (don't ask) 15' and when I shot to re zero, I put 2 shots in the x about .5" apart from each other. The scope never moved!

JD338

I'm a turret twister but if you insist, here are my 2 pc of advice.

1. Leupold will make you any turret you want. Just send them the specs on your load and you get what you want w/o having to go to Kenton (sp?).

2. You can also go to the VXIII 4.5-14x40 or x50 Long Range and have a cheap man's Mk4. You get the same 100 moa adjustment, less weight, less $. Just have Luppy custom shop drop in the turrets you want.

My .02 cents.

Alan

There's another important difference that no one has mentioned, and that is the M4 has the double sprung adjustments whereas the LR/T doesn't. It just has the single 45 degree return spring which is definitely not as repeatable theoretically. This is important as far as I'm concerned when you're winding, and not using a ballistic reticle of some sort. The M1 turret also has the bigger single locking grub screw, not those annoying little screws that the LR/T has.
With a proper set of drop charts for different density altitudes in 1000 ft increments, you're set for any conditions you'll ever encounter, and no batteries to go flat!
Greg

There's another important difference that no one has mentioned, and that is the M4 has the double sprung adjustments whereas the LR/T doesn't. It just has the single 45 degree return spring which is definitely not as repeatable theoretically. This is important as far as I'm concerned when you're winding, and not using a ballistic reticle of some sort. The M1 turret also has the bigger single locking grub screw, not those annoying little screws that the LR/T has.
With a proper set of drop charts for different density altitudes in 1000 ft increments, you're set for any conditions you'll ever encounter, and no batteries to go flat!
Greg

Good point.

Ultramag45,

I have the Mark 4 4.5x14LR with factory custom shop added M1 dials on a M700 LSS 338 RUM.
700LSS338RUM.jpg

Works great! My rifle fell out of my tree stand (don't ask) 15' and when I shot to re zero, I put 2 shots in the x about .5" apart from each other. The scope never moved!

JD338

Nice looking setup.

Mike @ CSGW

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.